Update to latest sun java 1.6.0_21

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java && sudo apt-get update

Thanks to Ferramosca Roberto, this is a Java only dedicated PPA for latest Java, the partner repo in Ubuntu has not been updated for Java since its release.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

3. linuxforall

Apart from security issues, there are compatibility issues with programs using Java, some prefer latest version, with all holes coming up, its best to stay updaded anyways and this ppa goes to address that issue.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Question: You add the ppa for either the latest version, or fixes. The distro subsequently udpates or fixes from their main repos. What does your system do? Does it stay with the ppa, or will it supersede with the main repo update?

Edit: I had (minor) issues with a known Ubuntu 10.04 bug where something between FF and x-server causes a logout. Added bryceharrington/purple ppa, which updated x-server. If Ubuntu comes out with a newer or different fix, will I get it?

5. linuxforall

If the one from Ubuntu is newer, it will always be updated unless you have manually locked the older version in synaptic. There are updated xorg in x-swat ppa as well as latest video drivers, have you given that a try?

6. steve161

Thanks linuxforall. No, I tried those at the end of 9.04, but my problem was minor in 10.04 (it happened a few times when visiting one particular site) and the ppa seemed to have solved the problem. In the past, the ppa's I have added were mostly individual apps so, since this was an x-server ppa, I started wondering about future upgrades.

7. linuxforall

x-swat ppa is from Ubuntu dev team so its perfectly safe and you stay current for all the cards including latest nvidia, ati and intel.

8. steve161

No, I'll pass as long as everything is working as it should. If I install that ppa, more will follow, and I will be upgrading to 10.10 on the first day of its release. I am still holding to my vow to stay with the LTS.

9. linuxforall

Ha ha thats a vow I have stopped taking even when Hardy was released. x-swat ppa is definitely a good idea.

10. steve161

As I said, I used that ppa before, with no problems whatsoever. However, it is my understanding that they are beta releases.

11. linuxforall

x-swat has stable releases, they release nvidia and ati stable drives a day after their release, also it has updated xorg and mesa dri for better compatibility, beta cutting edge stuff lies in xorg crack ppa.

12. steve161

Thanks for the info. Yes, I also used the xorg-crack ppa for 9.04. That was a bit of an adventure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.