Update across a network?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dsi-ap, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Re: NOD32 2.50.25 program component update released

Dear Marco,

We have noticed that after the component updates for version 2.50.25 any work stations in our networks not updated to this version will not update to the latest virus signatures and remain that way until a manual update is triggered and the component update prompt is actioned with a 'YES' to the update.

Our problem is we have several hundred machines to worry about with NOD32, and we can not go around each one doing a manual update if we can avoid it.

Looking from the documentation there is not much I can read on 'Component Updates' and how to go about setting these up correctly via the configurations on large corporate networks.

Is there a easier way to perform 'component updates' group wide via the remote admintrator or via config updates so the component update are carried out ASAP and hence, on the next restart the new virus sinatures beging to roll out again to these workstations.

Any info. on this appreciated.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi dsi-ap, welcome to Wilders.

As your post was a question in it's own right I have moved it here.

Cheers :D

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd double check the mirror settings, both locally on the mirror, and take a peek at the configs of a couple of the failing workstations. Maybe push out another config if somehow that got hosed.

4. zashita

zashita Registered Member

I guess you have the Remote Administration Console.
    You could send to the workstations a configuration task, where you specify 'Auto' for component updates.

Attached Files:

5. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi and thank you for the welcome, I will try not to invade someone elses post with my questions.

Yes I have set the client workstations config file yesturday to Auto for components.

Then push the config file to all workstations failing with the updates and waiting for this morning to see client machines updating the NOD32 components after their boot ups.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have worked out to plan, and I guess I predicted the behaviours of the config file and nod32 wrong. All config file uploaded ok appart from a few machines that where off that day.

The Update Mirror is upto date and so is the Server that host the Mirror.

I am stumped on this one, not sure calling NOD32 support here in the UK will mean I get an answer to my predicament.
    Hate to go around all the machine and do the manual updates.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  6. Blackspear

There are some very knowledgeable people (including Zashita) on this forum, several run networks in the thousands, so hold fire a bit longer and we will get you sorted.

7. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Thank you Blackspear - I always new about 'wilders security forums' and how great they where with the expertise and professionilism shown by the posters and the solutions given.

I thought it was time to register and be part of the mix :)

8. Blackspear

Excellent, look forward to your input given time...

9. zashita

@ Blackspear :
    Stop, I will blush, you don't need to do this :D

@dsi-ap :
    Did you push the config file or made a configuration task for this?
    The target computers have update settings to Auto for components update now ?
    Are the computers which cause problem have different settings (OS, ...) than the ones all is ok ?
    And just an advice, when you try something like this, make this only on 1 or few computers, to not eventually break all in your network :D

10. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, a few questions first... ;-)

1. Do you have the actual Remote Console installed?
    2. If so, are your clients PCs reporting in?
    3. What shows as the status on the PCs that are not updating? If it's "Waiting for restart," than they've already pulled the engine update and are just (as it says) waiting to be rebooted. Until that happens, the definition updates will not occur.
    4. Do ANY of your clients work properly?
    5. Have you checked the HTTP server part of your NOD Mirror machine to make sure that the "Create copies of update files" box has been checked?
    6. Do your update files actually point to your mirror machine, and is the server defined as "http://yourserver:8081" (or other port, if you picked a non-default one)?
    7. On the same note, does the "Mirror server" entry in your configuration file have the "http://" on the front, or just the machine name (yourserver:8081)? If the latter, make sure that you add the http:// on the front and that should get you fixed up.

Hope this helped.

Jack

11. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi anotherjack

1. Do you have the actual Remote Console installed?
    YES

2. If so, are your clients PCs reporting in?
    YES, I have verified this with a few machines already.

3. What shows as the status on the PCs that are not updating? If it's "Waiting for restart," than they've already pulled the engine update and are just (as it says) waiting to be rebooted. Until that happens, the definition updates will not occur.
    I have only seen "Waiting for restart" on a server, after the rr the server was fine and kept updating.
    Most of the client machines on the network are shutdown overnight by the users.

4. Do ANY of your clients work properly?
    What do you mean?

5. Have you checked the HTTP server part of your NOD Mirror machine to make sure that the "Create copies of update files" box has been checked?
    This is ticked!

6. Do your update files actually point to your mirror machine, and is the server defined as "http://yourserver:8081" (or other port, if you picked a non-default one)?
    For machines permenantly on our network, there is a http address back to the update mirror server.
    For laptops its set to automaticaly detect and account details saved.

7. On the same note, does the "Mirror server" entry in your configuration file have the "http://" on the front, or just the machine name (yourserver:8081)? If the latter, make sure that you add the http:// on the front and that should get you fixed up.
    Contains http://

12. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi zashita,

I did a push config to the affect client machines.
    Noticed the config upped ok and appears on the machines I have checked as changed when viwing them localy.
    Win2k on 90% rest XP.

13. anotherjack

Could you please post a screen shot similar to post #4 above showing the actual update setup for a machine that is not working correctly? I would swear that there's something in your XML file that's not quite right. Proxy settings OK, etc.? Do the non-updating machines NEVER update, or just every now and then? If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at the configuration file. PM me if you'd like to try that.

Jack

14. zashita

are the settings ok on all machines ? I am sorry but I think i miss something ... :)
    Is the problem still persist after you restart the computer ?

15. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi all,

I just like to keep everyone updated on how I got on.
    Again thank you for your comments and support.

In the end I could not resolved doing the component updates via config change updates etc...

I manually went round every machine to do the updates.

I think this is still a problem for us and perhaps some others, and its a huge inconvinence to us in the IT dept. and the users in having to work the work stations through the day.

Hopefully the installation of component updates for NOD32 throughout a network of client machines is something that has been working or resolved and guides or config changes are available to make it possible for the client machines to automatically update components.

Unfortunately for us, we still not able have client machines to auto update even though config changes have been pushed to say, AUTO for Componets/Virus upadtes.

16. anotherjack

Sorry to hear you had the issue with the component updates via network. I can guarantee that they do work, since that's how I update my users across our network(s). If it was just a component update issue (and I assume that the definitions were working correctly), you didn't by chance have the "Require permission to perform component upgrade" box checked in your mirror settings, did you? If you did, then that certainly explains things.

Jack

17. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi,

For a minute I thought u offered the piece of advice that cracked this mistery.

See image

Attached Files:

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Are the domain user accounts members of the local admin group?

19. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

all machines on our network with nod32 are part of a domain and as such get all their updates from the assigned nod32 mirror server.

Before the componnet updates all machines updated with a hitch, but since the roll out of the components this has changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.