Upcoming Update for Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi All,

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2009/07/10/upcoming-update-for-windows-update.aspx

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Here comes WGA2. :ouch:

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You failed to describe why us with genuine copies of windows should care, I'm curious.

4. Aaron Here

While most genuine Windows users may not have this issue, I seem to have problems (with genuine WinXP Pro) everytime MS comes out with a WGA change (for some strange reason the required ActiveX won't install/load on my system). So for me WGA is a pain in butt (I don't see why it should even be imposed on us if Windows has already been activated by MS)! :doubt:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what do you have to do to make it work again?

6. Aaron Here

So far I haven't been able to find a solution for this problem - MS support is clueless and recommends that I reinstall WinXP. But other than this problem, my PC is running great, so I don't see why I should go through the hassle of a fresh install (not to mention having to reinstall all of my apps)!!! o_O

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Security updates should continue for XP until 4/8/2014 according to this link.

NICK ADSL UK, Thanks for the heads up :).

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If I'm reading it right, it looks to go to 2014 for the security updates. In the link I showed, it links to this page. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

XP Home is already in the extended support phase AFAIK.

I pulled the trigger on the Windows 7 update deal because it was the last day. I'm still up in the air if I will use it or just sell it when I receive it in Nov. I may decide to ride this XP thing out and then give Linux another chance as it's maturing well.

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Actually, WGA only concerns the genuine window users. Those who use pirated versions will get an update soon after the new WGA is released to bypass the check.

I have some friends who use pirated windows and they tell me that "activations and activation related problems" and "WGA and WGA related problems" are only for the poor genuine users.

Pirated windows are usually pre-activated and pre-protected against WGA checks.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I only use geniune versions of windows. it annoys me that microsoft keeps checking to make sure its legit....
    this update seems minor tbh. just a revamped gui and some background changes to make service packs more smooth.

12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

^ Strange thing is that Microsoft just released a service pack for vista and server 2008. Why didn't they update the "update service" in the service pack? If they did, why the need to revamp it again so soon?

13. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

A service pack is usually no more than an aggregation of fixes. A program product like Office, Windows Update, Defender, or the like is managed on a different schedule by a separate group, so while their results to date are usually included in service pack rollups, their products are released as they are ready ( or before ;) ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.