unsolicited connections

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by p2hvt, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p2hvt

p2hvt Guest

Can anyone help me to understand why anyone would want to connect on port 2074, 1266, 1192 or 1230? I just started using McAfee Fire Wall (I know it’s not the best, but it was free!) And last night I looked at my log and I had all these unsolicited connection attempts on the above ports? Any ideas?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

You will get large numbers of incoming connections simply due to the number of worms circulating and script kiddies scanning for specific vulnerabilities. In addition, if you are on dialup, you will get a different IP address every time you connect - if you receive an address last used by someone running a filesharing (P2P) program you will then get lots of connection attempts from other PCs on that network, unaware of the change in address ownership.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As long as the firewall is blocking the attempts it is doing it's job and you should be ok. As paronoid2000 said, you will get a lot of intrusion attempts. But as long as they are blocked you are safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.