Unsafe ActiveX

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Douglas, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hello,
    When I go to SpywareInfo Forums I get the following alert.
    "An ActiveX control on this page is unsafe".
    What exactly does it mean unsafe?

Thanks,
    Douglas

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Douglas,

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4744&s=565758a68912e214b4147cc09f180053

Regards,

Pieter

3. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Many thanks, Pieter.
    Those bullys at Microsoft :mad:.

Regards,
    Douglas

4. Douglas

Douglas Guest

I'm brand new to Internet Explorer, so I have a follow-up question (if this has to be moved to another section, I understand).
    The explanation at Spywareinfo is absolutely correct, and it's happening to me at many other sites that use flash banners. IE keeps telling me that the ActiveX is not safe, and I have to keep clicking ok. I finally changed my options to allow ActiveX (safe and unsafe).
    Does this happen to you folks? How can I stop this behavior without having to allow ActiveX - or doesn't it really matter?

Thank you,
    Douglas

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

You can add sites to the Trusted Zone in IE and loosen the security settings for this zone.
    Best way is to tighten security in the internet zone and only when you trust a site, add that to the trusted zone.

ActiveX is a fact of life, just like IE. But that does not mean that you just have to live with it. An ActiveX component is a program, an executable, that gets installed on your system. I don't know if you want everyone to just install software on your system, but, at my company our policy is 'NO WAY'. Everything is tested several times first and then, and only when we trust a component, do we install it.

6. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi meneer :)

Thank you very much for your explanation.
    I'm quite the noobie at IE, so your info helps alot.

Regards,
    Douglas

7. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Luckily Meneer, this isnt so, there are many alternatives to IE, I haven't used it or its derivatives for nearly a year now, including M$crosoft update! ;)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

:D :D Almost the same here (still 1 site I use hates Opera), but we both know that the statistics indicate that IE is the major product.
    Even most tweakers (72%!!!) use IE (can't believe it but check this link )

-edit... wrong tags used - I was used at editing in my favourite CMS: e107.org ;)

10. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi! :)

Well, once again I have to give a huge thank you to you folks.
    I began implementing the recommendations last night, and they work wonderfully. It's absolutely amazing the degree of control it gives you.
    Thanks so very much.
    You all are truly helpful. As our friend Bethrezen once said: "Wilders Rulez!".

Sincerely,
    Douglas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.