Unlock code not working

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by muf, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok np. I will wait. I was expecting to wait anyway. Today was just a bonus. Thanks anyway and have a good new year :)

muf

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I remember from the past people using The Bat! email could have problems with their keyfiles, but not sure if that was immediately at receiving or after the bat had been closed and reopened. The Bat! changes files. So those users should immediately at receipt copy their keyfile outside the bat areas to a safer place, even when they come in zipped.
    (Wondering if it would still destroy files if we send them encrypted and password protected with CS !)
    Hope this problem has been dealt with.

Hope your problem will soon be solved too. I'm with big questionmarks at the moment.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Jooske,

As for The Bat! - that's news to me - never ever experienced any problems myself ;)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes Paul, there was a user discovering this with his keyfile copy in the email via The Bat! and deeper search found out the Bat habit to change files, not sure if it was just compressing or encrypting, something anyway which was recreatable several times. It must be in older TDS support threads here.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for the info, Jooske ;)

...Although I've never experienced The Bat! changing anything, keyfiles included, last 5 years.

6. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Me neither. I’ve used TheBat! for four years and never come across this. The user group is very active and there’ve been no reports of attachment corruption there either.

Sounds like an AV malfunction.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Quoting from another user:
    "The problem occurred with me when I upgraded to 3.2.1. I even tried the keyfile from my original e-mail that I had stored away safely (or so I thought). Even after copying the original keyfile into the TDS folder, The same thing happens, illegall keyfile.

Now I have no ideas about what originally went wrong, But I have a possible idea about why my original may have become corrupted. I use The Bat! as my e-mail client and it encrypts my stored e-mails upon exit and then decrypts them upon startup of The Bat!. I have posed the question to Wayne if this process may have corrupted my original keyfile.

In the meantime I am having to use a trial version of TDS to get by until problem gets solved."

I read more occasions about this. Can only recommend at receipt to copy the keyfiles copies to a safe place outside the email client, as we all should do anyway.

8. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

It sounds as if this person is/was using a version of TB called “SecureBat” which does, indeed, encrypt itself and its message base. Maybe it does corrupt files as he’s described but I’ve never seen mention of it in the user groups.

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So there is still hope :)
    As a not-thebat-user i can't test it myself. The feature sounds interesting. The user from that quote has been provided with his keyfile in other ways long ago, so it is solvable.
    No bad-thebat-debate intended here, just looking at several possible options which might seem all unrelated but might have to do with it, although i'd suppose it would not be limited to DCS keyfiles then. Recommendation to save a copy of the keyfile immediately away (diskette, whatever) and the registration emails (both not in the program directory where they are for) stays up.

Hope it is all solved soon and really only an unlock code thing.

10. muf

muf Registered Member

I use outlook express as my e-mail client. All i did was right click on the 'Port.zip' file and 'save as' to the Port Explorer directory. Then i downloaded 'PEKey.exe' and ran that to unzip the Port.pkf file from the Port.zip file. I have no encrypt/decrypt or such. The only thing i have set different on my Outlook Express is 'Read all messages in plain text'. This is purely for security purposes to protect me from HTML exploits.

When it failed i uninstalled PE and deleted all left-overs. Then reinstalled it, but this time i double clicked my Port.zip file and extracted the Port.pkf file using winzip into the Port Explorer directory. And obviously that too didn't work. I can only guess that either the Key file or the unlock code are corrupted or wrong.

I pretty much think i've tried everything possible. Even to the point of trying it on a different pc which had the same problem. If it does it on two pc's then i can't imagine it's a problem at my end. My two pc's have different software on them. There is nothing running on my Windows ME system that is running on my Windows 95 system, and vice versa.

muf

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sounds like you really tried everything and more then reasonable, so there must have passed something -- sure the DCS guys will sort it out for you and send everything new.
    In the meantime good your eval still works, to cover these few days till the solution comes.

Let's all enjoy a very good old <> new year passing on!

12. muf

muf Registered Member

Well my 30 days are up so no, i don't even have that :(
    Nevermind, Jan 6th will be here soon :D

muf

13. Carlos25

Carlos25 Registered Member

Muf Stole my unlock code - that is why mine don't work !

Just kidding :D

Happy new year all !!!

Carlos

14. muf

muf Registered Member

Nice one Carlos :D

You can have it back, it doesn't work ;)

Happy new year.

muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.