Unknown system process

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by justinwonono, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justinwonono

justinwonono Registered Member

Hi,

I have the following listed as a listening process -

Proccess : * ; Protocol: UDP ; LocalAdress: Localhost ; Remote Address: *.*.*.*

With no send/receive traffic.

The Process Id does not show up in taskmanager, nor systeminternals PE, although it will show up in netstat but not the executable, so how can I determine what is the orginating file.

As the process only just appeared I'm a bit concerned if it is worth worrying about or not. What is it trying to do & is it a problem & how to fix, any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Re: Uninown system process

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    Don't worry yet, those are UDP processes most probably a netstat process.
    You could try unknown processes to enable socketspy on them, but with netstat sockets you can't.
    In the helpfile is written some about it.

3. justinwonono

justinwonono Registered Member

Re: Uninown system process

Thanks Jooske for the reply.

I tidied up some firewall rules & it hasn't happened again, the process no was was the same as used a browser process so I suspect it may have been left over after I closed the it, although it is seemed to hang around for a while.

Just quickly any idea why a process name has an " * " before it? seems to occur when a process first starts & before any traffic.

Regards

(and if noone knows what an "Uninown" system process is ..... I fully dunderstand! ... now :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.