Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2pies, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2pies

2pies Registered Member

Just a few questions about creating backups and restoring the image to another computer.

1. On my host server I have installed True Image Agent (for TI Enterprise server 9.1) and the Universal Restore add-on. Is this enough or do I need to install the full version of Enterprise Server to create backups with UR. If not, I assume using the remote management console is fine.

2. When I come to restore on a target computer is it ok to boot from removable media or should I use a full Bart PE environment?

3. Should I restore the MBR and Track or just the NTFS partition?

4. Should there be an option to use universal restore?

I ask these because I followed the basic principals in the documentation and tried to restore an image and all I get is the target popping up with the Windows 2003 logo and the immediately rebooting in a loop.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Create the bootable media and use that to do the Restore - less likely to run into problems that way.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 2pies,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

As far as I understood you with to restore the image of your host server to the virtual computer.

In this case, you should first create an image of the host server. To do so you should install the local version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server on it and follow the instructions provided in chapter 6.2 "Backing up disks and partitions (image backup)" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server User's Guide to create the image archive.

The instructions on how to restore the image to a different hardware using Acronis True Image in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore can be found here. It is preferred that image contains entire source disk. Also you can find the detailed instructions on how to perform restoration in chapter 7.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images".

If you are to restore the image of the system partition (not the entire drive) to the new drive, it is recommended to restore MBR as well.

If you create the Acronis True Image Bootable CD with Acronis Universal Restore plug-in you should get the window of the Restore Backup Wizard, which allows you to select "Use Acronis Universal Restore" or "Do not use Acronis Universal Restore" when you boot your computer from this Bootable CD.

If the Acronis Universal Restore option did not appear, please collect the information requested in this previous post of mine that would allow us to investigate the issue and provide you with a possible solution.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. 2pies

2pies Registered Member

Thats clearer about how to make the boot media, will try soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.