Universal Restore Win XP (SP2) Driver Problem?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TBL, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBL

TBL Registered Member

Hi All,

I am using Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 build 3718 w/ AUR. I planned to move/copy the system from a notebook (Compaq Armada M700, PIII 850 MHz etc) to a vastly different desktop system (Core 2 Duo E6400, Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard, 1GB RAM, NVidia 7600GT)

After having created an image of the notebook HDD (FAT32) and stored it on one of the internal IDE HDD (FAT32) in the new system, i ran the restore process with the Universal recovery option selected and the motherboard driver CD in the DVD drive. The restore was "successful" but the new system crashes immedietly after the Windows 'splash screen' during boot process. I am able to log into the system using 'Safe mode' and all the device drivers seem to have installed except an 'Unknown Device' at PCI Bus 0 (Device 27). Other than that there aren't any visible/obvious clues as to what might be the cause.

Could anybody please suggest a solution?

Many thanks,

TBL

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Although the Universal Restore should have taken care of it, perhaps it is the graphics driver on the desktop causing the problem. So try this ... back on the laptop change the display driver to a generic VGA type, then redo the imaging and restore procedure.

3. TBL

TBL Registered Member

Ralphie - Thanks for the comments but is there a way to be certain that precisely 'which' driver(s), i.e., if at all, is the cause of the problem? As you probably know, creating and restoring an image takes quite a bit of time (notebook only has a low speed usb!). I have ran a third-party driver assessment tool 'DriveGuide Tool Kit' on the restored system which tells me the 'Unknown Device' with the problem is a 'RealTek Audio device' but apparently there's no match for it even on the motherboard support CD.

Does it mean i should perhaps replace the notebook drivers with all generic ones (if possible) and then do the image/restore process? Would doing so not possibly cause a problem with the notebook configuration?

4. TBL

TBL Registered Member

A word of advice from the Acronis Support would be much appreciated?

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

in safe mode remove the unknown device and reboot. see what happens.

6. TBL

TBL Registered Member

I did try removing/disabling the device in safe mode and rebooting but the same problem which leads me to think that problem may be due to something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.