Universal Restore Problem from IDE to SATA

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pcpoorlyltd, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcpoorlyltd

pcpoorlyltd Registered Member

Hi there

Please please help - used workstation 9.1 to create image on old PC and stored this on usb external drive. Got a new PC with SATA drive (xp home preloaded). I installed worstation and universal restore on new PC and have external drive plugged in which it sees etc. During restore it has to reboot - OK, but when the Acronis boot loader screen comes up I just get a flashing cursor and doesnt proceed any further - after about 10 minutes the screen goes black and does nothing. The IDE drive was 20Gb the SATA is 160gb and I've set it to resize to the new drive

Have you guys any suggestion this is driving me crazy o_O

2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I have never tried to restore a whole disk image onto itself, it is usually done offline using the ATI rescue CD.

I suggest making a bootable Rescue CD with universal Restore. Its in the manual and then follow the steps:

0. Attach external HD to the new PC and turn on power. Make sure to set the bios to boot from the cd drive.
    1. boot from the rescue CD in the new Computer.
    2. Select "Acronis .... w/Universal Restore (Full Version)"
    3. Once at the GUI, do a restore and get the image from the external HD.
    4. point the destination to your sata drive.
    5. enable Universal Restore
    6. and just go straight to the summary screen and click on proceed.

Now if by some bizarre instance that it doesn't work, or PC wont boot up after restoration; plan B would be that you have to provide the Sata RAID drivers after enabling Universal Restore.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.