Universal Restore, Help!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Fasih, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fasih

Fasih Registered Member

I have just purchased the Acronis Enterprise 9.1 with the Universal Restore. I have installed both softwares onto one of our servers so that I can transfer all data onto a new server. I have created the backup.tib file which includes all data from the old server and burnt it onto a dvd. Do I now just insert this into the new server and then Acronis will take care of the installtion? I have read some other threads about making a bootable disc. I have created a bootable rescue media ISO image with all 6 programs (full and safe versions). If I boot from this cd onto the new server I am given various options. Do I use this cd alongside the other dvd that contains my backup.tib file? Please help

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You will first have to convert that ISO image into an actual bootable cd. You will also have to have available during the UR process, the drivers for the new server. With that in place, boot the new server with that bootable CD and choose Recovery. Somewhere in the process you will be asked if you want to use UR or not. Some have reported that they do not see this option. But I haven't seen their solution, in any case, let's hope you do.

3. Fasih

Fasih Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    The bootable disc I created was an ISO file so I just burnt the image using my standard cdr program. I loaded the new server from this disc...
    Starting Acronis Loader... After that I get a nice option screen choosing which of the available 7 to choose (6 options belonging to Acrnois the other option to continue loading Windows. I chose the option Acronis Bootable Agent with Universal Restore (Full Version). On clicking..
    Acronis Loading ,Please wait
    Loading Network connection settings..
    Then a new screen is displayed with the following data..
    Acronis Booatble Agent ((none 169.254.187.26) is currently running. Now you can connect to this computer remotely with teh Acronis True Managment console. To quit Acronis Bootable Agent and reboot this computer click CANCEL. I am unsure if what I am doing is correct because I am stuck on to what I have to do next. What about the backup.tib dvd I have from the original server?

4. DwnNdrty

No, it's not Bootable Agent you want it is whatever Enterprise has with UR. I don't use Enterprise so I don't know exactly the words on the Menu. You said there were 6 options - try another one that has UR with it.

5. Fasih

Fasih Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Gosh you offer better and more prompt support than those companies that request premiums.. Well done. :thumb:
    I have chose the option to Load the Acronis True Image Enterprise Edition with the Universal Restore (full version and not the safe version) and have chose teh option to do a restore. It is now asking for the *.tib file so hopefully keeping my fingers crossed it will run smoothly. I will let you know shortly of my outcome.

6. DwnNdrty

There are a bunch of other users here who would have jumped in had they seen that I was "getting out of my depth". :D
    Yes, that's the one, "Acronis True Image Enterprise Edition with the Universal Restore". The Full version is necessary if you have the .tib file on an external drive. The Safe version will work if the .tib file is on an internal drive.

7. Fasih

Fasih Registered Member

Thanks once again for your support. I pressed the option to Validate the Archive prior to proceeding and so far it looks like I will have to wait another 30 or so minutes before that operation has finished.
    However It all looks kind of straight forward.
    I put the Sssi Mass Raid Controller Drivers onto my USB stick and inserted that into an available slot but unfortuntely it was not being detected. I do not know if this is a Acronis bug or whether the USB devices need to be installed prior to the server being switched on and the initial Acronis software loading. Anyway this was only a minor problem because I put the drivers onto a floppy disc, lucky the file sizes were not too big.
    One thing I wanted to ask you was my original DL380 Compaq server which has 4 ScSi hard disks running on a Raid 5 config and split into two logical disks, a C drive called OS and a D drive called Data. The New more Powerful compaq server has been setup in a very similar manner, 4 much larger hard disks running on raid 5.
    My question is that Acronis has stated C-> D for the OS and D->E for the Data on looking at the preview before running the operation. This surely can not be correct.
    Your assistance as always will be beneficial to myself and any others reading this thread.

8. DwnNdrty

Okay, now I'm "getting out of my depth". :) I don't do Raid so I don't know how Acronis treats it. But it looks like you chose the partitions separately rather than do the entire drive for the backup. In making the backup, you should have the check mark against the Disk1 - if the Raid appears to Acronis like it would if it was a single drive. And when you come to do the Recovery, you would again put the checkmark against the Disk1.

But let's see what others say.

It's not surprising that the USB stick was not detected since there are probably no Linux drivers for it. For future if you do have to use the USB stick with Acronis, you will need to create a BartPE cd and include on it the Acronis Enterprise plug-in.

9. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

You could also put the drivers on an external hard drive using a USB port. Much faster than using the floppy.

I have had, along with several others, problems in getting the Universal Restore option box to come up during the Recovery process with the latest 2 builds of Workstation 9.1 (3886 and 3887). Hopefully, this will work ok with your version.

Silver

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fasih,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please notice, as described in chapter 7 "Restoring the backup data" of the respective User's Guide, "Disk letters in standalone Acronis True Image Enterprise Server might sometimes differ from the way Windows identifies drives. For example, the D: drive identified in the standalone Acronis True Image Enterprise Server might correspond to the E: drive in Windows."
    Please also notice that you can assign a new letter to a restored partition. Please refer to chapter 7 "Restoring the backup data" of the User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.