Universal Restore-Does it Work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guruuno, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

Universal Restore documentation is SEVERELY lacking, is there a place to get step by step procedure for a "dry run" while attempting to restore an image to a platform with "dissimilar" hardware, as the program touts it ability, and I have yet to get it to work.

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Works great for me. I have two laptops and can easily update the one that I don't use very much by just doing a Universal Restore. Saves me from installing all the new programs and updates.

3. guruuno

And the procedure/process, which I find directions (step by step) to be lacking.

And how long to restore, how large a HD, what platform(s) (Dell, HP, IBM)?

I've read on these forums that it takes a long time, you have to provide a 'driver disk' for the new platform, etc., yet I really see no definitive process outlined in any way, shape or form from Acronis.

Are you saying, (I'll use an example) trhat if you had a Dell Desktop, and wanted to restore the image to say an IBM Thinkpad, you have a 'driver disk' (and if so, how did you create it, did you "point" to it in a network share, or what way did you get the necessary drivers)?

Also, in your real life experience, how did that play out with Windows Activation, as well as any or all licensing issues pertaining to apps from an original install to the 'clone' to dissimilar hardware?

All of these questions are real world scenerios, which I find lacking and missing from any Acronis directions.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Read the Instructions at Acronis website in the Workstation or Server User Manuals.

5. guruuno

I did, and all it says, only says, says no more than what I have copied below. Are you sayiing that's it? Or are there more detailed procedures elsewhere, as I do no find a 'step by step' easy to follow scenerio to try/test.

2.1.5 Acronis Universal Restore installation
    Acronis Universal Restore is an option to Acronis True Image Enterprise Server. It is
    purchased separately and installed from a separate setup file. Acronis Universal Restore has
    its own serial number which is required at installation.
    Acronis Universal Restore can only be installed on a computer where at least one of the
    following Acronis components is installed:
    Acronis True Image Agent for Windows
    Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (local version)
    Bootable Media Builder.
    Acronis Universal Restore can be installed on a networked computer either locally, by
    running the setup program, or remotely using one of remote installation services, for
    example, Systems Management Server (a component of Microsoft Windows NT BackOffice
    program package). Remote installation of Acronis Universal Restore with Acronis True Image
    Management Console is not supported.
    After installation, Acronis Universal Restore automatically plugs in one or more of above
    program components. Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (local version) name, displayed
    in its main window, changes to Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Universal
    Restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.