Universal restore and Windows Activation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by snowmaker, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowmaker

snowmaker Registered Member

I have created an image of Windows XP Pro corporate edition machine. When I perform an universal restore onto a new machine or virtual machine I get prompted to perform a Windows activation before I can log into the desktop. I'm curious as to why this happens when I have a valid corporate edition of Windows XP professional installed into the source image?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Whenever Windows "sees" different hardware it will require re-activation. Usually if you change only one component, like a video card, activation will not be required. Since you changed the entire computer hardware that's why it called for re-activation

3. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

The thing is "snowmaker" says he is using a corporate version of XP Pro and the corporate version doesn't need to be activated.

Are you shure it's the corporate version of XP Pro that you are using and not a retail or OEM version, if it's a retail or OEM version then "Ralphie" is 100% correct with what he said.

4. holmes4

holmes4 Registered Member

It depends on what "corporate" version you have. Early ones indeed did not call for activation, especially if they are labelled "volume license agreement". More recent copies do require activation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.