Unistall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kamy, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Hi thanks this forum has been excellent help to me i have nearly the perfect setup for a newbie thanks to mr brian and huangker

i was advised to install avira free av instead of using comod antivirus and keep the firewall part my question is how do i remove just the anti virus of comodo cis and replace with ariva free better dectection rate it seems

so far my setup is going to be

comodo firewall defense plus toned down or even get rid off
    avira anti virus free
    spyware blaster
    malware bytes
    java spyware blaster
    avg link scanner
    ccleaner
    thratfire because doesnt rely on signature based based like a antivirus would
    and will be installing http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/screenshots/

ok now is it worth installing geswall to the list or does threatfire take care of what geswall will take care of?

Alos in addition to threatfire i want a hips incase threatfire slips now i understand there are many hips but one thing is not clear what make comodo defense plus different too say defense wall are they not both hips? Bascically the reson im asking is i want a hips too but a user friendly one but at the same time i dont know how to use a hips properly or which type to choose as i wont knw what to do with the prompts is it or is me having defense plus already like a hips anyway in that sense plus is it overkill overkill to use defense plus and another hips
    but the same time im not sure how to use hips but i want to use it because it extra secruity incase of slips i did see previx but that relys on signature based plus you have to pay lol too? right?

I was going to install kis 2009 because it was all in one because took it care of most of the stuff above before but after reading i heard avira free and comodo firewall alone is better than kis 2009 is this true thanks

ok and please tell me if this overkill and sepearate the apps for me please whats too much whats just right comobo as im just suggusting this programes and i really dont have that much of a clue

i do want to say with the defense plus if it is hips it hasnt really poped up alerts at all in fact only when i installed the above software and i just yes to all prompts because they were safe im guessing to allow the defense plus to install so does it only popup when you install as i will be mainly surfing and only installing the above apps and do not intend to install anymore so is it right for defense plus to be so quiet if thats the case i will leave defense plus on because till date it hasnt anoyed me im just worried if i was to come accross something thats when i will not know wether to allow or deny or will this only happen if im installing and not just general surfing day to day thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I would probably keep Comodo and its HIPS component. I would build your defense around that. A firewall, HIPS and something like Sandboxie may be all you need. I would add an AV for both front protection and as a scanner. Add another free scanner like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-spyware and you are set.

SpywareBlaster adds some extra protection if you are using Internet Explorer. You could add a modified HOSTS file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. It is free and does not take up any resources. Secunia software inspector is good to run every so often. It will remind you if anything needs to be updated.

Just my $0.02. There are endless combination's of software you can use. The trick is to find your comfort level and software that works well together and doesn't slow down your system.

3. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Hey thanks for reply and the great advice i will be back to ask about a few more bits im just in the middle of seting up thanks

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You may have to uninstall CIS and then reinstall, not choosing the antivirus part during installation. Regarding Defense+, it seems to be working correctly on your system. If you choose to keep using it, then you should pay closer attention to those alerts that happen when you don't expect them, such as when you're not installing software.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You introduce yourself as a "newbie". If you mean new to computing, how new? If you're green, I would suggest you avoid your CCleaner for a long time because messing around in the registry is for more experienced folks. You can get in real trouble deleting the wrong file. Again, if you're "green" I would choose a different firewall like Online Armor which is friendlier to less experienced people. Comodo is a great firewall, but could get confusing for you. If I misread what you said, never mind. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.