Uninstalling SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by The Dean, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dean

The Dean Registered Member

I need to uninstall and reinstall SpywareBlaster (dunno if I NEED to, but I think I should). Anyway, when I go to add/remove programs, SpywareBlaster is not listed. There doesn't seem to be an uninstall option in SpywareBlaster, or I'm missing it.

A little background: This is my Dad's computer, he's using ME (yes, I know). He had some severe freezing problems and I used Compaq's registry fix and it totally screwed up the system. If installed icons for programs that had been removed long ago and stopped displaying/running programs that had been recently installed. AVG anti-virus totally disappeared, Adaware became disfunctional and also disappeared from the add/remove program list, SpyBot changed it's appearance and the add/remove program list said it was ver 1.2 (but it was really 1.3). Anyway I've managed to uninstall and reinstall all of the above. SpywareBlaster is next.

I have two major concerns (and about 1,000 slightly less major concerns) right now:

1. One of the above-mentioned programs fixed my ActiveX controls when I first installed it. But, I did a PC Pitstop scan and it says I have ActiveX security problems again. I was hoping by reinstalling these programs I'd find that fix. The only one left is SpywareBlaster.

2: I can't open any of my folders on the desktop (my computer, my documents, etc.) I get an error Explorer error message and my computer does a little freak-out dance and then I have to restore the active desktop.

Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Try using this:

You can uninstall by going to the registry,
    HKey_Local_MaChine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ "The Program you want to install will be next" Somtimes these are just the GUID so you may need to open them up.

Look for the key "uninstallString" this will contain somthing like
    C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -f"D:\Program Files\InstallShield\InstallShield 5.5 Professional Edition\Uninst.isu"

Copy this and paste in the Run under your start menu. and press ok, it will run the uninstall.

The items in your ADD/Remove Programs just point to these Reg Paths and sometimes will not showup in Add/Remove Programs.

After I uninstall any program I go to the registry and Edit\Find and type in the program and keep searching until I remove any reference to the program I just uninstalled. Also go to C:\Windows\Programs and clear out the entire folder of the uninstalled program. This way when you reinstall there are no left over items from the old one.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Just another point,

before u uninstall, don't forget to undo the protection in SpywareBlaster first.

snowbound

4. The Dean

Thanks...but, SpywareBlaster isn't listed in the registry under the uninstall key.

Any other suggestions?

This is strange as the program seems to be working.

5. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Be sure you don't have an icon like the one in this image.

Attached Files:

6. The Dean

I can't open "my computer" window (or any desktop window, as I explained). But, if I use start, programs, SpywareBlaster...there are three options: Autoupdate configuration, Help and SpywareBlaster.

Thanks for the continued effort.

7. The Dean

snowbound...Donald Fagen fan?

8. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Have you tried doing a right click on Start\Explore\and go from there?

9. The Dean

Wow, never used that before. Alas, only the same three listed above are there. But, at least now i can access the windows that won't open. Thanks

10. The Dean

I took care of it. I reinstalled over the previous install...and the uninstaller was present. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Still can't open desktop windows...but, i can access through "explore". thanks, Deke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.