Uninstalled NAV, installed NOD, uninstalled it

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by stevenha, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenha

stevenha Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I bought NOD32 yesterday, and downloaded it to my computer (winXP).
    I uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2002, and installed NOD32. When I rebooted, I had lost my internet connection. Thinking that NOD was the problem, I uninstalled it.

After much research, I discovered the problem was actually NAV, which doesn't fully uninstall. NAV had left behind a registry item saying that DHCP depended on a non-existent service SYMDTI. Once I edit that registry key and rebooted, I got back my internet connection.

But while I was browing my registry "run" (at startup) setting, I noticed that NOD32 had also left behind a reference to run pop3scan.exe /uninstall

What's up with that? AND, is it safe for me to re-try to reinstall NOD32?

2. Uninstalling NAV can be brutal, believe me, I've been there, done that...

Aside from doing a complete fdisk and reinstalling everything, I would do a search in your hard drive for anything that says Norton, Symantec, or NAV. HIDDEN FILES TOO! Paying attention and being careful, delete anything that is Norton or Symantec related..

Do the same for the registry.

Then, you'll see, everything will run better. That registry file from NOD I think is to revert MS Outlook Express settings back to normal after a reboot.. It may not work if you have more than 2 email addresses. and it's safe to delete..

If you do a search to delete ESET, Please be careful and don't delete anything like RESET!

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Symantec has instructions on how to uninstall NAV and I think a tool to remove left over bits. You might want to check that out. And use a regcleaner to double check. Don't have a link on this machine but I imagine a search in the NAV support site would give results.

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

5. stevenha

stevenha Registered Member

Outstanding. Thanks for the help to remove Norton.

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

And welcome to Nod32 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.