Uninstall PE result in disabled network

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Glan, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glan

Glan Guest

I tried PE evaluation and after it expired I uninstalled it.
    It asked me to restart computer to finish the uninstall process. I did that and after reboot, my network was disabled. I can not ping my router, I can not do "ipconfig /renew" - it tells me some operation attempt on something which is not a socket.

Then I re-installed port explorer - everything is fine again, although PE is still expired!

Did the uninstall process removed something which should not be removed? What happened?

I have Windows 2000 Professional. All the patches have been installed.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi, you will need to run LSPFIX and see what other programs you have installed is causing your network to not function.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

The website appears to be down atm, but that contains a program which will show you. For the time being just leave Port Explorer installed. When the site comes back up, grab the program and take a screenshot of it running. Then post the screenshot here.

-Jason-

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Bill's site is up and running at this very moment ;)

regards.

paul

4. Glan

Glan Registered Member

Jason,

Unfortunately, LSP-Fix did not solve the problem.

With PE evaluaton installed, I ran LSP-Fix. Following is the info:

Keep:

rnr20.dll Tcpip
    winrnr.dll NTDS
    nwprovau.dll NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS...
    sselsp.dll (Protocol Handler)
    msafd.dll (Protocol Handler)   
    rsvpsp.dll (Protocol Handler)

Remove:

empty

After Hit finish button:

Repairs complete.
    0 Namespace provider entries removed
    0 Namespace provider entries renumbered
    0 Protocol provider entries removed
    0 Protocol provider entries renumbered

Then I uninstalled PE Evaluation, network stopped working again.
    Then I ran LSP-Fix again with disabled network. Exactly the same results as I ran it with PE Evaluation installed. And network is still not functional.

Any ideas?

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

All I can say is you have an unusual TCP stack :) Jason might be able to recognise some of those, is the nwprovau.dll something you know ? Please email it to me, I'll PM you an address to send to

6. Glan

Glan Registered Member

Gavin,
    nwprovau.dll is a Microsoft dll.
    It's Client Service for NetWare Provider and Authentication Package DLL.
    I have mailed it to you.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Netware :mad: :D I'm not familiar with it so its a little hard to work out what provider is causing the problem. Jason might have a better idea after looking at the results you posted but it might help to reinstall the protocol drivers or software using it.. if you like, try changing the stack in any way you can by trying reinstall of those other protocol or application(s).

A warning though, ALWAYS leave one protocol installed and bound, even if its just put there temporarily as a placeholder. Have found out the hard way that if you uninstall them all (I only had TCP/IP and wanted to reinstall it) that you have a MAJOR problem and have to reinstall Windows..

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

nwprovau.dll NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS...
    sselsp.dll (Protocol Handler)

Those are the 2 odd ones that aren't USUALLY there. Try reinstalling Netbios for your network adapter with Port Explorer not installed. What is sselsp.dll from?

-Jason-

9. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

how does one do that? :)

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

I'll see if I can find a mention directly from MS, but simply add something like IPX/SPX bound to your network adapter (dialup in my case) and then you can remove TCP/IP safely.

I wouldnt recommend doing it though, even if the above works, who knows - it could be a risk. I was extremely unhappy when removing TCP/IP meant I HAD to reinstall no other option. Dont think I lost any data though :D

11. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

maybe i am misunderstanding something.. i thought that "glan" was saying that simply uninstalling the trial version of port explorer messed up something so that he could no longer connect to the internet, and that you were suggesting one way to avoid that. is it safe to install, and then uninstall the trial version of port explorer?

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Normally there is not any problem in uninstalling PE, but as the program goes really deep into the system it is at least recommendable to close other programs when doing so, at least av/at and the kind, and maybe have internet connection closed at the moment of uninstalling.
    Not sure what went wrong here.
    If the LSP fix says it did fix things (did it when pressing the fix button?) .....
    I've in- and uninstalled it hundreds of times during beta testing and never had this kind of happenings, so something specific must have happened here.

13. Gavin - DiamondCS

Yes normally everything is ok, but Jason's suggestion may fix the problem. Once uninstalled the chain has somehow been broken, which could be because of a badly behaved driver. Its no surprise to see a couple of unusual (ok less usual) drivers there, so reinstalling them would be the first thing to try :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.