unbelieveable infestation in an hour

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by larryb52, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

My daughters called my wife who ok'd letting her use her laptop. My wife turns her machine on last night & it boots ok but than pop ups, IE acts strange , something looks off. FWIW I had ESS on my wife, next she hollars that a trojan tried to get on & ESS elimated it. I tried to scan but it stalled. I than tried FSecure online & it had found before it stalled 3 viruses, 3 malware. My dauaghter should work for AV companies she managed to do in a couple hours what my wife has never done. The suspect site 'I think' are facebook, My Space & a AIM chat session...

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

My kids visit the same sites and for the life of me, I cant understand why more dont use something as simple as Sandboxie with their AV. I am not promoting it here, but something that simple to use would have kept all of this from happening to her computer.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

have you managed to remove it larry?

have you tried cureit on the machine?

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

5. larryb52

no as F-secure online found it but I think it was too tired ;-) & the site froze. I'll install (If possible) f secure & see if that will do it, I hope so it's my wifes business machine. I wish my wife would of just said no and trust me a laptop is not easy to resetup from disks, it's labor intensive & it takes awhile...

6. larryb52

cureit is on the good docs webpage?, I just realize it might be easier to use than f-secure...thanks!

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Here ya go

http://www.freedrweb.com/

This should do the trick nicely. After it does the quick scan set it to do the full one.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

@larry! I have used drweb cureit on a relatives pc and it detected and cleaned some nasties.I think it is a very good product.

9. larryb52

thank you both, I think I'll be running that tonight & hopefully won't have to use the restore disks...

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

How did you not see it in my sig larry?

Hope it does the trick for you ;)

Keep us posted.

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

12. larryb52

Probably missed it fumming & fussing as this is the 2nd machine in 30days my daughter has done this to so I'm a bit frustrated at dealing with something I tend not to do. IN the past 3 years I think I have stopped one trojan at the door & run a clean machine. I preach this stuff at home (bank security at work) & my wife is if anything a safe surfer, unless clothes shopping is dangerous. Now that I think about it the bank account is in trouble ;-)

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok ;)

Hope it cleans your machine well, why didn't the av stop it though?

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

15. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

MySpace and Facebook are where I go when I'm playing with security software, just to see if it works. I've been there with Returnil and with Sandboxie and others and never failed to come away without some infestation of several bugs.

Both Sandboxie and Returnil performed admirably. I also have DeepFreeze in frozen mode.

I recently tried with geswall and not sure what happened or what I'd contracted but got an immediate BSOD and physical memory dump. I rebooted, which removed geswall 2.7 and whatever was picked up at MySpace.

I'd like to have known what broke geswall and caused that BSOD but did a reboot and DeepFreeze got rid of it.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall needs a reboot to be installed. I can,t imagine how you were able to run GesWall in DeepFreeze and get rid of it9 GW) on reboot! Can u explain?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

how did it go Larry?

18. larryb52

well my wife brought home a company computer tonight & is letting me take my time. I decided to 1st let Nod32 suite see what it could do as when F-secure online had locked up it had found 7 items. So far nod is at 63% and has found 6 & one was attached to her game bejeweled so will have to reinstall that but it looks like nod32 will beat this (fingers crossed), 2 others were trojans & 3 were labled generic & nod32 has them as I sent them to them to look at. I will still run cureit & a kaspersky online before I decare it clean tho but so far looks like I'll recover it. I have Nod running in the 'ask me for advise' mode as I want to see where these went...

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Yeah, I was typing fast and once again didn't edit before I posted.

Geswall was installed properly, including the reboot with DeepFreeze thawed. I then refroze DF and did the run at MySpace, after which I went through the thawing process and removed geswall as I have many pieces of security software, and put Returnil back in place.

I have nothing against geswall. All I said was that something on MySpace broke it. Unfortunately, when the BSOD flashed on, rather than reading as I should have I panicked and immediately hit the reset button.

20. larryb52

finished it's clean or so says Nod32 & dr webs cureit, Nod32 found 8 mostly win32/adware types threats a couple trojans donloaders, majority in the system32 folder, I think someone ignored the prompt when asked ;-) or didn't know correctly how to respond. Nod found these & I feel secure that the good doctor confirmed all was clean. Happy ending...I hope...thanks for listening the good advise & just being there

Larry

21. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Larry....you should do one more scan and use Superantispyware free. It has found stuff for me here and there that others missed. Just to be on the safe side.

22. larryb52

I'll give it a run, thanks

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I stroll thru the booby trapped keegendotus to test defenses on-the-fly, and for operational safety by all means don't even think of going there unless your solidly shielded.

SandboxIE + PowerShadow + Returnil + Deep Freeze are up to these type of challenges thank goodness.
    I would NOT take any security app into real combat of that nature like that unless i "FIRST" knew it will return unscathed.

There are still security apps that would fall flat on their face.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That makes sense. BSOD is not equivalent to be broken IMO but sure a bug if it was from GW.

25. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Might I also suggest you use Firefox with Ad Block plus and no script plug ins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.