unable to load driver

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by zedsded, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zedsded

zedsded Registered Member

Hi
    Ive just loaded LnS 2.04 to try, but I get an error on start up saying "unable to load driver Insfw"
    I am running windows 2000 on AMD athlon 700.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    thanks in advance
    Zedsded :'(

2. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

Hey

You installed Look ‘n’ Stop under Administrator mode?

3. zedsded

Hi,
    Yes

4. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

“While installing Look 'n' Stop under Windows 2000 or XP, one or several alert messages about Driver signing or Hardware Installation appear : what to do ?
    This message is standard: Windows informs you that a driver is being installed.
    You just have to answer Yes to the question. However, it is not normal that many alert messages appear for the same driver installation (4 times per adapter/protocol) : this is a Windows problem.
    Either you have patience and you answer yes each time or you deactivate the Driver Signing verification.

To deactivate Driver Signing verification, follow these steps:
    - Right click on My Computer, select Properties
    - Select the Hardware tab
    - Click on the Driver Signing button
    - Select Ignore
    - Click Ok“

5. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi zedsded,

uninstall and reinstall Look'n'Stop. Your problem should be gone then. ;)

Regards,

Patrice

6. zedsded

Hi Patrice + Ph33r,

Tried both your suggestions with no luck.

I found under device manager several instances of the driver under "network adapters" all disabled.

I removed them all and reinstalled LnS.

But it still won't work.

Zedsded

7. Patrice

Hi zedsded,

could you once try to install the beta version 2.04p2? Perhaps this version will solve your problem. By the way do you have NAV installed?

Best regards,

Patrice

8. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

Hey zedsded

Those issues you describing related to either not Installing Look ‘n’ Stop under Administrator account or not accepting “ALL” the driver signing dialogs.

Maybe an Anti-Virus or Sandbox like Featured Applications is interfering with special rights Look ‘n’ Stop needs to properly install?

I would try disabling all 3rd party Software and try re-installing Look ‘n’ Stop v2.04p2 to see what happens...

Verify these and if still failure then we’ll get you to provide little information…

9. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

P.S: Make sure you re-boot after Installing too!! ;)

10. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

When you Installed Look ‘n’ Stop did you see the Driver Signing Dialogs?
    If not then your driver install policy must be set to No rather then WARN. o_O

11. zedsded

Hi,

I have just uninstalled LnS, restarted, checked that I am logged on as administrator and reinstalled 204p2.

I didn't get any warnings about new drivers, although it is set to warn me.

Then I restarted and got the same error message.

I looked at device manager and there are 10 instances of looknstop driver disabled under network adapters.

I've just removed all but one of them which I tried to enable, but windows "couldn't find the specified file"

Thanks zedsded

12. Patrice

Hi zedsded,

deinstall these 10 entries, uninstall Look'n'Stop and reinstall it again. Pretty strange your problem, never heard about that until now... o_O But I'm sure we will find out! ;)

Regards,

Patrice

13. zedsded

Hi Patrice

Iv'e just done what you said but no change, 10 new disabled entries and still no firewall!

zedsded

14. Patrice

Hi zedsded,

That looks pretty strange to me!! When you uninstalled all the disabled entries and you uninstalled Look'n'Stop, did you restart your computer? Are the disabled entries still there?

Do you use NAV by the way? Can you give me some more information about your system and what is installed on it? Perhaps there's a software which causes this error. Let me also know how you connect to the internet (router, modem,...).

Best regards,

Patrice

15. zedsded

Patrice

Yes, I restarted and they were all gone untill I restarted after reinstalling LnS.

No, I don't use NAV.

The machine I am using has an athlon 700 processor running windows 2000. It is the gateway machine in a ethernet network of 3 machines using ICS to connect to the internet via a usb to a ISDN adapter.

Hope this helps

zedsded

16. Yassine

Yassine Guest

Hi
    i have also the same problem

sorry

17. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

You using Windows 2K or XP?
    And can you verify you was in Administrator mode when you Installed Look ‘n’ Stop?
    And can you verify you accepted all the alert messages about Driver signing?

Also what’s currently running in your background?

18. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

I once had a similar problem, cuase in win2k my network structure was corrupted - I coud see it when I tried to install an new drver or a new client in the network dialog. Can you try that to eliminate that possibility??

Phantom - you remember??

In my case a usb camara software did always mess up the network structure, although it worked as it was I couldn't get L'n'S to run.

Ruben

19. Bob1

Bob1 Registered Member

I have a simililar problem in W2000 on a dual-Athlon Tyan Thunder K7 Pro. After a problematic install, a message came up that it's unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0), and it will not allow a dial-up PPP connection to any of 3 ISPs until I uninstall the firewall. No series of alert messages about driver signing with an acceptance option appears. I turned everything off in the background that seems remotely sensitive, leaving the WinAmp agent, ATI monitor software, mouse software, Musicmatch, and a Tripplite UPS monitor. This is with the user account set with Adminstrator privileges. After several reboots, I didnt' get the driver message, I think, but it was not letting me reach my ISP and there was a lot of instability, with menus freezing and disappearing. Killing LnS with the Task Manager got things moving again, but I had to uninstall it to make a PPP connection.

If I ran the main executable without it installed while a browser was up and connected, it would not let it get to a webpage until I stopped the LnS process.

20. Phant0m

If the driver install policy is set to No (instead of Yes or Warn), this kind of issue will happen. This can be changed in the Driver Signing dialog box. When it is set to Ask (the Default), Windows prompts the user with a signing dialog box for the driver being Installed.

I don’t remember if Win2K uses same location or not but under WinXP you goto “System” Properties, Hardware TAB and click "Driver Signing".

http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/Alternative/DriverSigning.PNG

Regards,

21. Bob1

Bob1 Registered Member

Thanks, Phantom, but I wonder if I got my situation across clearly: there is no user-selectable option on the message box which notifies me of the putatively missing driver; instead, there is just one button. Is that your understanding of my situation?

I read your most recent comment and others above as addressing a different type of box that allows some effective user input. Were the boxes that appear offering some alternative, Windows driver signing adjustments would seem to me more likely to be applicable.

22. Phant0m

Bob1

Re-read; i'm telling you how to fix the issue....

23. Bob1

Bob1 Registered Member

OK, it's already set to warn. Thanks for something to try. Any more ideas?

24. Phant0m

Hmmm I think I saw issue with Win2K users, try configuring it up to Install without prompting…

25. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Hey one tip

try to install another protocol or client. I had once a broken network and although everything worked I couldn't install LnS right

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.