Unable to eject USB drives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Beginning this morning (yesterday morning by the time you read this) I am getting a message that any USB drive plugged into my PC cannot be ejected because its in use by a program. I am told to try again later or to close any program that may be using it. I know that there is no program using the drive and the only way I can safely eject the drive is by rebooting the PC and then clicking on the eject USB drive icon. Any idea why this may be happening and what I can do about it would be appreciated.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

What new application did you install recently? Some monitor file folders.

Unlocker will help you to find out which one is it.;)

Panagiotis

3. bgoodman4

Thank you for your very quick reply. Three days ago I installed IDrive which backs up files on-line. The files being monitored have nothing to do with my USB drive, at least I don't think it would since I have not instructed IDrive to watch for anything not on my C drive. If this is the case how can this be the source of the problem? I will download the program you recommended and report back. Will this program enable me to eject the drive as well as identify any program interfering with the ejection?

4. bgoodman4

Unlocker did the trick, for some reason Diskeeper was blocking me from ejecting the drive (at least Unlocker indicated this was the case), This is odd as I have been using Diskeeper for years without any problems of this sort. Regardless Unlocker is a nice tool to have on my PC and I thank you for your help in this matter.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. pandlouk

You are welcome. :)

And you are right; Unlocker is a great tool.

During the installation, at the components selection is listed a component "eaby shorcuts". Just uncheck it.

Panagiotis

6. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Anybody know of a software similar to unlocker that works on x64? :)

7. pandlouk

Yes. Try EMCO UnLock IT ;)

8. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Thanks a lot pandlouk :)

Edit: It doesn't work at all for me. I tested it with a locked file and it said it's not in use by any application when it clearly is :|

9. pandlouk

You are welcome. :)

Have you tried to execute it with run "as admin"?

Panagiotis

edit: I checked it in xp and it seems that works only with the system drive subdirectories. The only alterantive for 64bit seems to be Process Explorer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. bgoodman4

Hi pandlouk, boy are you fast, I had done a little digging and found the check boxes and edited my last post. I guess you were replying as I did this because when I did the edit your post had not yet made it into the thread. Thanks again for the help you have provided.

11. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You can also look at http://safelyremove.com/ although payware they offer a trial to see if it works for you.

Thanks,

Chris

12. yashau

yashau Registered Member

I tried USB Safely Remove a while ago and it didn't work very well.

Well thanks guys but I don't think there's an app nearly as good as Unlocker for x64. Process Explorer is so cumbersome.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Chris

That looks like a neat program. Thanks.

14. bgoodman4

Thanks Chris, I will take a look at the program.

15. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Is Diskeeper trying to defrag the drive and locking it use?

You could also have a look at the drives properties in Device Manager under policies tab and see if it's set at "Optimize for quick removal".

16. bgoodman4

This is/was a very recent problem. I have been using Diskeeper for years without the USB eject problem occurring so why it should suddenly become a problem now is a mystery. Not a big deal since I now have Unlocker and can just stop Diuskeeper from blocking the eject.

EDIT: I just tried plugging in a USB drive and ejecting it normally, works fine now, there was no need to use Unlocker.

17. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Yes, Safely Remove is an excellent piece of software.

Especially for people who are using USB's.

18. bgoodman4

I took a look at Safely Remove and liked the features so even though the eject problem appears to have disappeared I decided to get a copy of this program. Thanks for the info Chris, and the reminder (renegade0:cool: about it.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have two USB HDs mainly used to store Images. One of them always gives me problems disconnecting it safely unless shutting down the computer. I've just downloaded 'Safely Remove' which seems to be a very nice tool to have, but it gave me exactly the same response that usually Vista gives (the device can't be stopped at the moment etc.). I'll still run the 30 days trial.

Attached Files:

20. bgoodman4

Have you tried Unlocker? I recently downloaded it and it worked every time I had a problem. Unlocker is freeware by the way, a nice tool to have available if its needed. I like some of the features of Safely Remove besides its unlocking ability (which I have not had occasion to try yet) so I picked up a licence today after trying it out for about 5 min. Have you tried Forced Stop or Close Process? (probably a dumb question). As I said I have not had a chance to even try these yet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  21. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

While I'm currently using USB Safely Remove on my PCs courtesy of an offer a couple months ago for free licenses, you might want to try a similar freeware program I used previously: USB Disk Ejector.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/usb-disk-ejector

Unlike USB Safely Remove, USB Disk Ejector (like Autoruns and Process Explorer) doesn't install itself into your system and isn't running all the time. I'm not sure which of the programs is better. I've noticed I sometimes get Windows messages saying USB Safely Remove has stopped working and has to shut down when I use FirstDefense-ISR or imaging software to create a backup snapshot or image.

22. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Tips, tips, and more flash drive tips - page 1, page 2. Perhaps one for you Osaban?

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

@bgoodman4.
    I 've had Unlocker for years, and even though it is very useful to get rid of some stubborn files, it doesn't work with my USB drive.
    @ GlobalForce.
    Thanks for your tips' links. I found interesting the following "Find the policies tab and check if the device is optimized for performance or quick removal. If its optimized for quick removal you will get the message you are referring to. Supposedly you don't have to use the safely remove hardware process when this is checked."
    My USB Drives are both set for quick removal, but only one seems to create an alert as not being able to disconnect safely. Several times in the past because of time urgency I have disconnected it anyway, and nothing has ever happened to the data stored. So maybe there isn't any risk, as long as the drive is set for quick removal.

24. bgoodman4

I am no expert but when I was having this problem and reading about it on the net I learned that pulling the stick out without unmounting could cause a problem with drive letters. Yes, if a file is open and you pull the drive you can get corrupted data or worse if the drive is being written to, but the drive letter thing needs to also be noted. Certainly not an especially serious matter as data loss but......

25. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Say Osaban, did you get a chance to look @ those recycle bin prop's? How about drive letters for said devices .... they ever change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.