Unable to backup to DVD's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Leeham, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeham

Leeham Registered Member

When I try to do a full backup to DVD's it burns about 30 percent and then
    kicks the DVD out with an error message saying backup failed.
    I hope someone can help me with this problem.I closed down my firewall
    but that did not help. thanks for any suggestions. Leeham

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Leeham,

I read your post because the title is something I can relate to, but I'm confused because you've posted in the Javacool SpywareBlaster forum, and you've omitted a lot of information that would be useful. Do you believe your problem relates to Javacool SpywareBlaster or any other Javacool program? I am also wondering why you believe your firewall has anything to do with the problem.

Burning DVD's can be rather tricky, and troubleshooting can be a frustrating hit-and-miss affair - with much time and wasted discs as additional expenses.

What DVD burning software are you using?
    What type of disc are you trying to burn (video, data, etc.)?
    What hardware (i.e. the burner) and media (blank discs) are you using?

I am sure that someone here at Wilders may be able to help, though your post might get more attention if it was posted in an appropriate forum. You may wish to search and read some existing threads at web sites that typically discuss disc-burning issues. Here are two good places to get answers:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

http://forum.videohelp.com/

Regards,
    Optigrab

3. Leeham

Leeham Registered Member

Hello Optigrab,
    Thanks for your reply,I thought I was posting in True Image forum.
    I'm new at this,not at computers but at forums.
    I'm trying to back up my C drive thru True Image,but I keep getting a message after completing a partial backup that say's backup failed.
    My brother has the same program that I do and his backup to DVD's works
    just fine.I sent True Image techs a message but they have not responded.
    All suggestion will be appreciated. Leeham

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi Leeham welcome, I think it would be a good idea to post what version and Build of TI you are using and maybe some specifics of your computer including the burner you are using and operating system etc.

5. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

optigrab: good links especially for folks with obsessive intent on getting their images onto cd's/dvd's (even if it takes dozens of them).

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

LeeHam,

Backing up to DVD has been problematic for many when using TrueImage Home. A forum search can illustrate the many problems.

Many of us would suggest that you create your backups onto another internal/external drive--rather than burn direct. Your failure rate would be much improved.

If you feel the DVD is your only alternative, then do so using what we refer to as the "two step" method.
    ..Temporarily create the backup onto the hard drive (space permitting).
    ..Use the backup option of "archive splitting" to create the archive into DVD sized files.
    ..After archive successful completion, copy the archive files onto the DVD
    ..... as a simple data copy using your own burn software.
    ..Don't forget to validate your backup.

One scratch or defect or bad data write can ruin your DVD media.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Leeham,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that direct DVD writing ability (no third party software needed) was included into Acronis True Image starting with the build 3625. The old builds of Acronis True Image (3567 and lower) doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software.

You can find the build number in the Help -> About dialog.

More information on how to write your images to DVD can be found in this FAQ article.

If you are using version of Acronis True Image, which has direct DVD writing ability (build 3625 and higher), then please try to temporally uninstall DVD/CD-burning software and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please create cdrecord.log file and Windows System Information the way described in this previous post of mine. Note that under Windows Vista the cdrecord.log file will be created in \ProgramData\Acronis\DebugLogs folder. Also collect Acronis True Image log, which contains the error message. Log file can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Note that "two-step" method described by GroverH can also be used to store the image archives to DVD discs.

In case you have the old build and the appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software (such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD) installed and all of your DVDs are properly formatted, but you still can not write your images to DVD, please collect the following information:

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 Home log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Send the collected files and information to Acronis Support Team along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.