UltimateDefrag 2008 (very nice)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PoetWarrior, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Just bought the new version of UlimateDefrag 2008 and found it worth the purchase. I just used the automatic defrag option and it does defrag faster than the previous version. In fact, I'm surprised at the improvement. Interface has much more info and polish to it. Too many improvements to mention. Check it out if you can. :thumb:

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the update notice, this is the only Defrag for months now that i have proven can keep my platters running at Top Optimum Efficiency!! which equals nice performance increases!

3. PoetWarrior

You're welcome...and I agree. :)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Is that screenshot what it really looks like? I really dont like the new look :gack: :thumbd:

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I just D/L'd it and did a "Fragmented Files Only" defrag. Very nice indeed.
    Like the new GUI too. Looks as though I'll need to spend some time tonight setting it up to the old UD2007 config for auto defrag.

...screamer <-- not dead, just on hiatus

6. vhick

vhick Registered Member

is this work with fd-isr?

thanks..

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Earlier version works nice with FDISR,i suppose the newest will also.

actually its a file placement/replacement tool with defragging capabilities.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  8. PoetWarrior

Yes, it does. I have both on Vista HP and they're working fine. Good question.

9. vhick

vhick Registered Member

@ sir huupi and sir poetwarrior,

thanks for reply...maybe a shift from perfectdisk...

how about the boot defrag with fd-isr, it is good?

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Has anyone gotten more of a performance boost with Ultimate Defrag than with PerfectDisk?

11. PoetWarrior

I used Perfectdisk 2008 prior to UD 2008. Both products are really improved over their previous state, but I wanted the options with UD 2008 that I didn't have with PD 2008. PD 2008's goal is to slow down the fragmenation of the disk, while UD 2008 makes that one defragmentation strategy available plus many others.

I haven't used the BootDefrag in UD 2008, so I don't know about that one yet.

12. vhick

vhick Registered Member

thanks sir for the info. maybe i will wait for the comment on boot defragmentation.

thanks again:)

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I get the biggest performance gain from the boot defrag in PD 2008. Please post back when you get a chance to try it with UD.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

UD is definitely done something even better in this new version.

Still running thru different settings and placements but it sure is speedier then before and i think they finally corrected the inaccurate files issues identity crisis everyone was griping over as a fraudulent misrepresentation on the big wheel.

Looks odd as heck compared to other versions but as long as it steam cleans my old hard drives and brings them up to better standards as well as my new ones, no complaints here.

EASTER

15. appster

appster Registered Member

Right, and in that regard I found the boot-time defrag pretty lame in previous versions of UD.

I'd like to hear if the new version of UD has improved this respect.

16. True Orient

True Orient Registered Member

I guess I have very simple tastes because I replaced an earlier version of UD with JKDefrag and Contig. primarily because of latters' efficiency and simplicity. Then I tried IObit's freeware SmartDefrag ( http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download ) and got hooked on it. This freeware has made JKDefrag redundant and Contig slightly irrelevant.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Why simple tastes,if it works for you best then IObit is the best in your circumstances,yes thats really simple ! ;)

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What screenshot :blink: I must be getting Old, who posted one I cant see it here :blink:

19. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I meant the screenshot on the UltimateDefrag page.

20. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I kinda like the "disk analogy"...

But I'm glad with JkDefrag here, so i'll pass...

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well I tried it, and I can say I'm not entirely impressed, or not entirely convinced that UltimateDefrag is exactly that! Good Maybe, but Ultimate :cautious: That draws a thin line when I ran UltimateDefrag a few times untill I got a 0.00% fragmentation score, I ran PerfectDisk, and Only ran the Analasys, what I saw surprised me somewhat :blink: Perfect Disks Analasys of My Drive was 5.65% fragmented :blink: Now going back to UltimateDefrags report that my fragmentation level was 0.00% Shakes that boundaries a little here :shifty: Who's telling the truth? Raxco or Disk Trix o_O Also notice Ultimate Defrag Apparently runs its own Bootime pass every 3 days According to Disk Trix Anology of this UltimateDefrag is doing its own thing :ninja: Doing its own thing is all very well, its similar to PerfectDisks AutoPilot. Right! to end I'm not going to say one is better than the other, as I have no physical evidence to point the finger otherwise, Windows XP SP2 Defragment tool reports the drive is in good condition afterwards regardless of which of these 2 you use,so they do a good job of defragmenting thats not an issue. I do however Invite both parties i.e Disk Trix and Raxco to reply to this post if they view it, and Clarify the facts. ;)

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

There is no mention here where UD really shines,in the way it permit to place files and data whereever you wont it to go,in a way its an placing/replacing program more then a defrag program.

Search speed concerned with disks(excluded processor) depend mostly on RPM,contigious of the files and where are the files placed,dismiss the constante(RPM) and eventually its up to the degree of fragmentation and fileplacement where you can speed up your system.
    Most defraggers do a fairly good job but lack the possibilities to place the files in way that they are fast accessable (outer rim) when frequently used,so a hardcore gamer need all his game stuff at the outer edges and all others to the inner rims or inbetween.I myself because i'm a heavy Photoshop user placed all Photoshop and related stuff at the outer rims and found a remarkable performance increase.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i like it too
    but the consolidate system stucks when i try to defrag my c: every time at 99% , tring to consolidate the $secure:$sds:$data:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

and for now the boot time defrag is missed , maybe in the future version will be available

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i'm a heavy photoshop user
    can you tell me how did you setup ultimatedefrag to boost photoshop performance please?

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

GUI is awesome and simple to use too.

perfectdisk said i was 1% fragmented, UD says 18%

big difference, so .. we shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.