UDF support in Linux - who supports what?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by otropogo, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otropogo

otropogo Registered Member

Windows 7 supports some five versions of UDF. I've been unable to discover what versions, if any, are supported by the current Linux kernel.

Does anyone have a reliable source of information on this subject?

By a combination of luck and trial and error, I've discovered that SLAX 6.1.2 can read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted and written in UDF 1.5 (but not reliably to UDF 2.01, Win7's default UDF). But my efforts to learn more about this ability of SLAX (ie. are other versions of UDF supported, is there a way to format disks to UDF under SLAX?) have been fruitless. And SLAX uses an older Linux kernel.

So I still know of no way to format DVD-RAM to UDF without Windows.

Furthermore, attempts to write interchangeably with SLAX to DVD-RW disks formatted UDF by Win7 have all failed, and dangerously so - under both SLAX and Win7, the burner goes spastic trying to read the disk, and has to be physically powered off. In this case, it appears the error lies in Win7, as it takes only a minute to do a "long" UDF format of a DVD-RW disk, while doing the same with DVD-RAM takes the better part of an hour.

Current versions of Knoppix and Puppy Linux don't appear able to even recognize DVD-RAM disks, no matter what the format.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. otropogo

otropogo Registered Member

Thanks for the links. As you say - they're interesting. Also depressing...

It looks like I'm presently a leading authority on using DVD-RAM/UDF under Linux... heaven help us!

Apparently UDF and DVD-RAM support is just another useful function Linux developers have abandoned in favour of more glamorous projects.

It's discouraging that both Windows 7 and SLAX can read a DVD-RAM disk written in dla mode by Windows 98, but the latest versions of Knoppix and Puppy Linux can't even mount the disk.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.