Ubuntu won't connect automaticly again.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have to connect it by going to edit connections and choosing the one I want and hit edit and then click on Ok. How can I have it connect automatic. Its selected to do that in edit connection.

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Cheater;
    We devoted an entire thread to get you to install wicd. Until you do, don't expect anymore help. You can't get an automatic connection to an encrypted router until you install wicd.

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Why not try a different distro?
    Do a bit of research, see what may have a good chance of working with your hardware. Download a few livecd's and see what works.
    If you're dead set on using ubuntu, try kubuntu hardy. I find KDE seems to intergrate with the OS better than other DEs. Knetwork manager may shine where it's counterpart in Gnome may fail. Trial and error, eventually you'll find an OS and setup that works and suits you and it probably won't be ubuntu.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it should work.
    with network manager in fedora sometimes i get the prompt for password come up once (with password remembered) i click confirm and it works.
    it had an update about a week ago and its been fine since.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Linux is something you have to spend some time with and dig into, learn, research, experiment with, and so on. You can't slap it on your HD and expect all to be perfect and then sit and ask questions when something simple doesn't work without doing some legwork. No offense to anyone, but it takes some work and effort on your own, as well as a lot of searching and reading in forums. 95% of the time, your problem has been encountered by someone else and you can find answers in the forum of your distro of choice. But again, it takes work.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree with Kerodo,when I first did the unbuntu,Xubuntu and KDE it took some tinkering,tweaking to get things to work correctly.There is a lot of info out there if anyones willing to be patient and work at it.If not perhaps linux is not for them and maybe should stick with windows,No offense.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

In my case, it just plain and simple works out of the box, unlike in Windows where I would have to go through separate app install and driver install and making sure I find the right drivers, Ubuntu just simply works out of the box. The only thing I need to set is permissions and sharing, something thats quite easy to do.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

When asking for help, you should consider the following:

1) Being as detailed and exact as possible; short sentences can't really explain the problem to the other side. Screenshots, log outputs, terminal outputs, detailed info on what you did, all these can help others help you.

2) Some self reading; this is true for just about any problem, windows, linux, anything. Type the exact error messages you have in google, you'll see quite a bit of answers, I promise. Then, a few searches along the lines of: wireless, no connection, ubuntu, wicd etc will give you more clues, leads. Dedicated distro forums, application forums are also a good choice.

Mrk

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Arup,
    i havent really had any drivers issues with windows.
    the network manager in both ubuntu and fedora can be flaky. an update about a week ago helped a bit.
    never had any wireless problems with the wireless zero config utility in xp or vista.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Well my Ubuntu connects me day in day out, no issues here. I didn't mean driver issues in XP, I meant the fact I have to go about searching for new drivers and install them one by one.

11. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

For the novice, installing any OS can be a nightmare. But, overall, novice or expert, I think flavors of Ubuntu are much easier than Vista. And that is what we should be comparing it to. Not XP.

I've only seen two real issues with Ubuntu's latest release. Proprietary drivers and Net Manager using WEP. And both issues can be handled easily by someone with minimal computer skills. We gave step by step instructions for replacing Net Manager with Wicd and for running nvidia-settings using gksudo.

For the time being, it may be easier to "find a buddy" that can help you with Windows but "the times they are a' changing." Linux is catching up fast in that regard and forums like this are a great help.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

The forums are the best part about Linux and people are eager to find a solution there.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree.... in all my 2 years of distro hopping, the forums are where I found the answers 99% of the time. :thumb:

14. cheater87

WICD says connected but there is no ping. :( I can't get any internet connection.

15. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Try PCLOS, it's an excellent distro.

16. cheater87

How do I install it over the distro I have now?

17. cheater87

Anyone know?

18. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Texstar and the Ripper Gang who produce and maintain this most excellent OS have just released a Beta version of PCLOS 2009. They recommend that only experienced users test it.

The old version is a little dated now but still works well and unlike Ubuntu, it should update to the long awaited and eagerly anticipated 2009 final, without a re-install.

Just d/l the old version, burn it slowly and put the disk in the optical drive. Your PC will do the rest. It will overwrite your present installation.

Getting wireless going is not very difficult but may require a tweak or two.

BTW, Linux forums are plentiful and friendly and full of valuable information.

19. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I would really suggest pclinuxos. Just install it to the partition that you have ubuntu on currently. If pclos doesn't configure your wifi automatically or you can't get it going with ndiswrapper then I don't know what will. IMO it's the best distro for newbies out there. I do agree with other posters here, the distro's forum will give you the best support but you must help them to help you by giving them as much info as you can.

Out of curiosity, what is your wireless card?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.