Ubuntu Developers Say Linux Mint is Insecure

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by dogbite, May 26, 2015.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

..... my edit .

You just reminded me of this :-

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=hybryde

Hybride Linux .... a specialized distro that allows users to instantly switch between all of the popular desktops without needing to reboot
    .... sort of "tasting menu" for linux desktops.

I don't think it's really a full Linux , but could be good for folks wanting to " dip a toe in the water ".

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Thanks all. This gives me some material to go through. Hybride looks interesting. Need a few more flash drives. For the most part, I've stopped servicing PCs for other people. A large part of the reason is a dislike for the newer operating systems. Of the ones I still work on, most are XP for users who can't afford a newer system. I'd like to find something that's similar enough to XP (minus the eye candy) that it wouldn't be a total shock to them. Stability and the ability to update itself without breaking things would be the other major requirements.

Eventually I'm going to look at alternatives for my own system, which will be a completely different set of requirements. I'm reasonably knowledgeable regarding Windows through XP, not so much with Vista onwards. For me, the desktop is a workbench. I don't care about eye candy at all. I run the standard Win 98 desktop with no eye candy. The OS is stripped of everything it doesn't need. I'd like to find a linux distro that's built the same way but doesn't require linux course to start using it. I don't want to start with having to remove or disable a bunch of services that I don't need. Eventually I'll get to that kind of stuff but right now I just don't have the time or patience. Just a simple, lightweight OS that I can gradually equip the way that I want it without having to be an advanced user to get started.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.