Ubuntu 9.10 ' new in repository'. Unsure

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Just checked for updates in 9.10 x64 and there were several including kernel headers/image 2.6.31.15.50.
    I only installed the upgradeable stuff but now I am uncertain regarding whether I should also install the 'new in repository' items shown in the screenshot marked with a star emblem.
    For instance the last item 'linux-image-2.6.31-15-virtual' is described as follows:-

This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.31 on
    x86/x86_64.

Also includes the corresponding System.map file, the modules built by the
    packager, and scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in an
    unbootable state after an update.

Supports Virtual processors.

Geared toward virtual machine guests.

You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install
    the linux-virtual meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work
    correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

The red highlighted directive applies to practically all these 'new in repository' items - only thing is i don't have such a meta-package in Synaptic. (I also don't have Vbox in Karmic yet - this is just to illustrate).
    I suppose I should simply ignore the new in repo items, as checking for updates did not offer them for install. ?

New in repo.png

Edit: They are just new versions of items that were never installed - so I don't see why I need them. Apologies for long post.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Go ahead and upgrade if it allows you to. Those packages consist of a new Linux kernel and its headers. I am updating my machine right now.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Looks like the so called meta packages are those kernel packages shown as installed - green square. So I have the 2.6.31-15 kernel. I think I have done the right thing by not installing willy nilly those other packages - marked with star emblem. They are obviously not required and may cause problems .. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1335346

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I always use aptitude when in doubt.

Code:
    sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    The safe upgrade option wont upgrade if there are potential problems or conflicts.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Reason for creating a new package is that if there are problems with the new kernel, you can still boot with the old one.
    If you upgrade the existing kernel, it gets removed and you could be very stuck if the new kernel does not work.

The star on white background means new in repository, not installed, star on a green background means upgradable, installed.
    Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.