ubuntu 8.4

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bamaman66, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I would like to install ubuntu 8.4 on my pc with xp home. Where can I find the instructions to install the ubuntu without having to reinstall xp. I am afraid to try it without explicit instructions because of the time required to reinstall xp. Thanks

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

3. L815

L815 Guest

Well since it's XP it's probably a bit different because you can't shrink partitions like you can with Vista.

So here is how I last remembered with XP:
    -Boot up Ubuntu Live CD
    -Using the partition manager (gparted), shrink your windows partition to whatever size. (20000mb is good for testing)
    -Then apply the changes
    -Install Ubuntu from the Desktop Icon
    -Go through the steps until you are given the option for parition (step 4 I think)
    -Here you will take the free space and click "new partition" or something similar
    ::Make the size 1000-2000mb less than the given size
    ::Make the mount point '/' for root
    -Then the 1000-2000mb space left, click "new partition" again, and set the mount point to swap. The rest will fill in by default.

-Go through all the steps untill you are done installing.
    -Boot up and you should have Grub loading Ubuntu first, and Windows last (can be changed in Ubuntu).

Have fun with a great OS!!!

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

If you dont want to manage partitioning, you could try; Wubi
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google Search&q=wubi
    One of the write-ups:
    http://www.linux.com/feature/130713

Google around for any problems....jic....http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234

If you dont like it; then the whole shebang can be uninstalled from within Windows.

MAke an Image/snapshot with FDisr, whatever you usually do for back-ups JIC prior to install.

Be careful installing either way if you have other tools that write to the MBR.

LOL: on my wish list for the prefect world "wpclosi" :)

5. bamaman66

I have ubuntu installed and working but I have a problem with the evolution email that it uses. I can receive email but I cannot send email. When I try to send email and type my password in I get this message"Unable to authenticate to SMTP server. Bad authentication response from server". I have not had any success with solving the problem.

6. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Thunderbird is in the repository and it's far better than Evolution.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Either the smtp server you specified in Evolution's setup is wrong, or your password is wrong. Evolution works fine in Ubuntu. Sounds like you just have the wrong smtp server address in there....

8. bamaman66

I am using the same password and smtp server that I use with windows.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well then, I am fresh out of ideas........ sorry....;)

10. bamaman66

I have not had time to get back with you. I went back to my server configuration and I had mail.-------.org like I had in windows mail. I added a 1 after mail. mail1.------.org and sent myself an email. It was successful. Thanks for your patience.

11. bamaman66

I installed Thunderbird as you suggested but I haven't been able to get it to accept my password. I can try to send a message and it shows it connected to the server. Then it comes up for me to enter my password. It continues to come up for my password. I am receiving email without any problem. I called the IP and confirmed my server name was correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.