µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Other than for the fact that it's more granular, what is the big different between the standard download version of uBlock and the 'Advanced User' Dynamic Filtering option? And curious about one thing.. out of the box, do they both block all-3rd Party scripts?

2. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

The difference is nothing more than 1 mouseclick, if you click the + infront of the "requests blocked" string, you're in the advanced user mode, then you can block all 3rd party scripts, but out-of-the-box, afair 3rd party scripts aren't blocked (except if they are in the out-of-the-box default checked filterlists).

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

You will have to tell 'I'm an advanced user' in uBO settings, other than that what DOSawaits told is true.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The ScriptKeeper extension will only refresh when you close the extension menu. This way you can make multiple changes.

The default "non expert" GUI doesn't let you do anything. I would prefer a simple GUI like in ScriptKeeper or NoScript, focused on blocking scripts on a global level.

5. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

You can make multiple changes in uB0, too. How does clicking the reload button differ from closing the extension menu in terms of usability?

I strongly disagree:
    1. If you only want to control scripts in the Dynamic Filtering Pane, just leave the other lines as they are. It's as easy as that.
    2. The global and local columns are absolutely necessary as this makes uB0 much better than Noscript: If you allow a (3rd-party) domain like, e.g., facebook.com in Noscript, it's allowed everywhere. In uB0 this is only the case if you allow it in the global column. If you allow it in the local column only, it will still be blocked on all other sites. This makes uB0 much more powerful, versatile and privacy-oriented than Noscript.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Exactly. This level of granularity is a bonus in ublockO. If one wants it to focus on a global level-only blocking, this can easily be achieved as well, all the while maintaining Static filtering on a Global basis or whatever level the user chooses to apply it to.

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I dont recommend disabling first party scripts, now days far too many sites need it enabled. You will find yourself whitelisting the majority of sites you visit anyway.

8. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Agree. The concept of blocking the resources either local scope or global is very intuitive.

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

10. Rasheed187

Good point, but for some reason it feels annoying having to click on the refresh button.

That's true, sometimes it's very handy if you can block scripts per site. I guess I need to get used to the interface which is a bit more "crowded".

11. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

@Rasheed187
    The thing with uBlock Origin is that, the tasks you do with it are little different to other ad-blockers, once you understand and a get a hold off. You will enjoy its intuitiveness and the way it was designed..

The tasks like
    - Picking up elements for cosmetic/net filters through Element Picker - It is more of a similar in line with Browser Dev Tools (Dom Inspector Picker tool)
    - Its Universal Logger. Its so powerful, especially the filter the logger entries! And to do postmortem things :)
    - And not the last one, It is has own DOM Inspector, for stubborn cosmetic elements. I didn't get occasion to use it though.

12. wat0114

An example of how the element picker can wipe clean an annoying element from a web page that the 3rd-party filters won't.

Attached Files:

13. Rasheed187

I will give you a new example of why I think uBlock is a bit difficult to operate, or at least not that easy to figure out. I want to block scripting on google.nl and google.com, but not globally. The reason is because I prefer how Google search works without the extra features. The problem is that Google Maps also stops working if blocked globally. So how to do this?

14. wat0114

I guarantee if you understand how Dynamic filtering works as per the Dynamic filtering: quick guide page, you will have no problem arriving at a solution (there are actually a few possible solutions).

The solution could be given to you, but that won't help you going forward.

Just try to think of uBlock as a sort of web scripting firewall, where you have Global rules (2nd column) and Local rules (3rd column). Any filtering you apply Locally will override the Global setting for the specific site you are applying it to.

One hint for you: Ask yourself if you want to block scripting on google.nl and google.com on only a few sites or on the majority of sites. Assuming the latter case, then using the firewall approach, you might think about combining Global and Local filtering for your situation.

15. Rasheed187

This is true, I did manage to figure out how to block the vwdservices.com script only on belegger.nl, so not globally. But I want to make it so that Google Maps keeps working, while all scripting is blocked on google.nl and google.com. I have tried it but it really doesn't work, perhaps it's not even possible? The weird thing is that even when I block scripting on google.nl and google.com, it doesn't revert to the basic version, like it does when I use NoScript to block scripts. It's these things that annoy me.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  16. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

@Rasheed187

Ever considered using uMatrix?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/?src=ss

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
  17. wat0114

Unfortunately it is impossible to block all google-related domains without breaking some functionality on some websites. A good example in my case is with calgarysun.com; I need to use Noop rules on ajax.googleapis.com, google.com, accounts.google.com, and apis.google.com, otherwise I can't play videos on the site. At least, however, Static filtering is enforced with Noop rules, so it's not an all out allow rule.

This is why you might consider Global blocking on google-related domains you don't like, or all of them for that matter, and use Local site-specific rules for where they are needed. Remember that local Noop or Allow rules will override the Global rules for the specific site(s) you apply them to.

Alternatively, to make things easier for yourself, you could relax the rules for these google-related domains that are required for a number of sites by simply using Global Noop rules on them. This will require less micro-managing, but with the caveat that they will be allowed for all sites you visit, regardless whether they are required or not. hope this makes sense.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

How can I rid myself of the pop-up appearing recently on http://www.bloomberg.com/europe ?
    The ...##script:inject(overlay-buster.js) does not succeed here.

Attached Files:

19. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

I think enabling Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek‎ filter in uBlock will do, because I don't get that popup.
    Nevermind... when I enable 3rd party scrips I also get that popup :(

20. gorhill

gorhill Guest

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks gorhill. (When I first tried it I only chose the Bloomberg notification window, not the whole page).

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

By design, it depends where you click -- the solution was still in there, it's just a matter of selecting the proper entry in the list of suggested filters:
    a.png
    See Element picker:
    The element picker is a tool to assist in creating filters, it tries to make it easy, but it can't read mind -- only the human knows exactly what it is they want removed from the page.

23. TTwrs

TTwrs Registered Member

Just a suggestion... Can an option be added to display the 'percentage' of requests blocked instead of the 'number' or requests on the icon? That info would be more interesting to know at a glance than just the number of blocks. Thanks.

24. Rasheed187

Thanks for the info. But I think I already know why it doesn't work. I wanted to enable scripts on Google Maps but disable it on google.com. But this can't be done, because Google Maps is not hosted on maps.google.com, it's hosted on google.com/maps. But anyway, I still wonder why Google.com doesn't revert to the basic version when I block first party scripts. So for now I combine NoScript with uBlock and Ghostery, it works just fine.

25. wat0114

I see your point, but this is the problem with google-related domains, in that one can't disable it in its entirety on all sites because it's so often essential for proper rendering of those sites. Google has done a mighty fine job of embedding itself throughout the Internet - kind of as an "essential service" - to make it impossible to completely avoid it, lest one wants a broken web site :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.