µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Andavari has been a moderator over at that forum for many, many years. As he posted about it in the Windows Security section it has nothing to do with CCleaner as far as I can see.
    It may be someway he is using ublock... I don't know.

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I find this hard to believe, the author of that post provided nothing to backup this claim.

3. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

What the hell! So I took a look at my trusted sites in Ublock Origin and found 'toyotapromo.nascar.com' added to my trusted sites. Turns out I entered a sweepstakes at 'https://toyotapromo.nascar.com/'. I removed it and reopened the website. Nothing was added to my trusted sites. But when I paused Ublock Origin and reopened the website, it was added automatically to my trusted sites. This might be normal but I'll be sure to check my trusted sites more often.

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

@DjKilla,
    Which browser do you use, and what exactly do you mean by 'I paused uBlock Origin'? How do you 'pause' it?
    I haven't tested in Firefox, with mentioned site.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Does this explain anything? (lots of info here)
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/How-to-mark-a-web-site-as-trusted

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Didn't' know that either and NO! I don't want it to remember the site, if I want it as Trusted Site I'd add it manually.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't get it, so you're saying that websites can add themselves to the trusted sites of uBlock Origin without any user interaction? This would be a major hole in uBlock.

8. Rasheed187

Actually, I have just tested it, and as expected, the ''trusted sites'' list is user controlled. So when you disable protection, the website shows up in the list, but as soon as you enable uBlock, the website gets removed from the trusted list. So I don't understand what other people experience. Websites should not automagically be able to mess around with uBlock settings.

9. Stupendous Man

I didn't know that, either.
    I wonder if this is what happened to Andavari at CCleaner forums, same as to DjKilla.

I guess re-enabling blocking for a website will remove it from the Trusted sites list again. I haven't tested.
    Edit
    Ah, I see Rasheed tested. Thanks. :thumb:

10. Rasheed187

You have never disabled protection via the power button? Quite surprising, but I don't see the big deal, I mean how else is uBlock supposed to trust a site? As long as it's triggered by the user, I don't see what all the fuzz is about?

11. Stupendous Man

No, I meant, I never tested if that adds a site to Trusted sites list, and if re-enabling blocking removes it from the Trusted sites list again.
    Thanks for testing, Rasheed. :thumb:

Edit
    Thinking about it, maybe I never disabled uBlock Origin for a website, never at all. I cannot recall I ever did. I only disabled cosmetic filtering for one single website, that is all.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Fuss is about the possibility you forget to re-enable uBlock back again and close the browser or tab.

13. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Sorry for the delay in updating. So in Firefox when you click the Ublock Origin icon, you can hit pause and there's a reload button that shows up next to the pause button. Once in a while I'll come across a web site that's not working as expected so I'll pause Ublock Origin to see if that helps. Somehow I had unpaused Ublock Origin but the web site remained in my trusted sites. I do use Sandboxie with Firefox so it's probably user error that this happened. I may have had this happen when Firefox was unsandboxed and then sandboxed Firefox again or did it the other way around. Could be I was doing something else that I don't remember or maybe I updated Ublock Origin which fixed this issue.. I'm sure it's not a big deal but I'm still keeping an eye on trusted sites from now on. The latest version of Ublock Origin works as expected, which is, when you pause Ublock Origin and reload the page, the web site gets added to trusted sites but when you unpause Ublock Origin, the website gets removed from trusted sites. I assume this is the way it's suppose to work.

14. Stupendous Man

Thanks. I never thought of it as a pause button, but as an on/off or enable/disable button.

Perhaps that could explain what happened, I cannot say. I do not use Sandboxie.

Ah, good.

15. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Is there some way to backup my UBO default and custom filters and then import them to a new computer.

16. Stupendous Man

In uBlock Origin Settings, when you scroll down, you find the option 'Back up to file'. This does just that: back up your uBlock Origin settings, including filters, to a file.
    Just below that option, you see the option 'Restore from file'. You can use it to do that: restore settings from a saved file, but it can also be used to import your settings on another computer.

17. Dragon1952

That would backup on my computer but would do me no good if my computer stops working and i buy a new computer. I was looking for a Cloud backup that i could import from to the new computer.

18. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ublock has cloud syncing
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Cloud-storage
    but its tied to browsers syncing.
    for firefox it seems to toggle "extensions"
    buts thats sync, no backup. backup only with export.

19. Stupendous Man

Like any backup, you could copy it to a couple of external drives -- or save the backup file in the cloud, if you like.

Brummelchen mentioned uBlock Origin cloud storage, I didn't know that was an option, thanks.
    But as Brummelchen said, that's sync, no true backup.

20. Dragon1952

I backed up my UBO Settings to my Downloads and then drag and dropped the file into the body of a email that i sent to myself in Yahoo mail which is in the Cloud in case my computer goes dead. I can then restore my UBO setting in my new computer.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I save my settings on a UFD.

22. Rasheed187

Who cares? Then you simply enable it again next time you visit the site. I thought the fuzz was about websites adding themselves to the trusted list, which would be a huge hole.

OK I see. Once in a while I disable uBlock's protection in case of problems and then I often enable Vivaldi's adblocker if necessary. For example, sometimes YouTube isn't able to display all similar/recommended videos when uBlock is enabled. Speaking of YouTube, can it be true that YouTube is now deliberately buffering videos all of the time when uBlock is active? I never saw this before.

23. Stupendous Man

A few days ago, I disabled uBlock Origin for Startpage Search for testing purposes, because of an issue.
    uBlock Origin wasn't the cause of the issue (neither was Firefox enhanced tracking protection). I reported to Startpage Support. I noticed someone else reported the same issue.

Do you mean the bar loading ahead of what is playing, not loading all at once? As long as loading stays well ahead of playing, I see no problem.
    If you notice the video buffer fills slower than usual and video playback pauses, I think that is what another thread was about: Is Google deliberately slowing down YouTube video buffering for adblock users? At the time, it was because of a bug in Adblock Plus, not uBlock Origin.

24. Rasheed187

Yes exactly, it's mostly for testing purposes. I see that I have only 8 websites on the trusted list.

Holy crap, I now indeed remember this thread about Adblock Plus, and it seems an awful lot like what I'm currently seeing with uBlock. I never had any buffering problems on YouTube, but the last few days I'm getting to see it, and it seems to improve when I disable uBlock and Vivaldi's adblocker. So it looks like YouTube is playing dirty games. But you're not seeing it, which is weird. Will need to investigate this further. And to answer your question, during playing it will simply stop for a few seconds, and fast forwarding and rewinding will also lead to buffering, so something's up.

25. Stupendous Man

The eight predefined trusted sites are listed here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-Trusted-sites

Could it be an issue with Vivaldi?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.