µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Remember we are not all native English speaker's here, so now I understand why you did not anser in the first place. Literally it is a stupid question: of course it is possible when somebody invests time and effort to program code for it.

Thanks for pointing out that you are not planning to do so.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm confused. Don't know what to say. :confused:

See here.

It's obviously not an April fool's joke ... :blink:

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Worrisome to be sure :( One ray of hope is he mentions he plans to work on his own version, keeping it in Chrome store.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That certainly seems a bleak outlook but hopefully someone will maintain this extension.

5. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Wow, I wonder what his version will be? I can't imagine what more Ublock would accomplish in the sense of ground breaking, as I thought it was head and shoulders above the other adblockers already. I wish him luck and hope things work out for his new project and the current.

Any word on Unmatrix? I know that was his baby, so I'm hoping he's either focusing more on that or perhaps trying to build an all in one extension?

6. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Well, looks like this was *indeed* too good to be true.
    Probably the flood of idiots posting 3rd party list related issues was too much to handle ?
    Who really knows ? At least a simple "reason why" was the least one could expect...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  7. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Seems that chrisaljoudi was caught unaware that anything was wrong and doesn't seem to have been given a reason....I hope he's able to maintain the Fx version....As far as I can see no downloads are available from the github project page for ublock atm.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

They are now. It was a mistake by Chris.

9. gorhill

gorhill Guest

The more you give, the more many act as if you owed them even more. This is what ground me down in the long run. If the project has any intrinsic value, it will survive. The move was a huge relief for me. I have been postponing this for long now, thinking things might improve. They did not, from my point of view.

10. clubhouse1

tlu I still can't find the xpi files...Only the zipped (for chrome?) downloads...Early days I guess Chris has to set it all up yet.

11. DOSawaits

12. DOSawaits

So true.
    Anyway, thank you again, I'll miss the fine additions now & then.

13. clubhouse1

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for all your work, @gorhill!

All the best...

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'd be willing to inject funds into the uBlock project, or even hire Gorhill if he is available as I have plenty of side projects I'd like programmed. I've been trying to hire(reliable) an extension programmer, and regular programmer for almost a year now with zero luck.

16. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I'd definitely vouch for gorhill's programming skills, for sure. Always putting security and code quality first. A true brilliant and creative individual. :thumb:

I'm still in shock though, to be quite honest.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, many are seeking an explanation, and April 1st is at least that.

18. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

What the hell is going on?? Gorhill never jokes around. Clearly not an April fools joke although its seems coincidental. Im in utter shock.. Hopefully we will get an official statement from either Chris or Gorhill..:confused:

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

20. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Yes absolutely, but im sure everyone here at Wilders wholeheartedly appreciated him. The only thing we can do is wish him all the best, and welcome Chris. Im sure Gorhill would not of passed his baby to just anyone.

Thankyou Gorhill, and good luck with your future pojects.

Regards.

21. bberkey1

We wish you luck brother. It's a shame, I remember seeing posts in here and even in Umatrix with people complaining about this or that, rather than taking the 5 extra minutes to experiment and get a site to work properly. Oh well, I hope those who helped contribute to the "bogging" process realize what they've lost, but then again, a lot of those people could care less

22. bberkey1

BTW Raymond,

If you were planning on doing a new project, please consider donations. I know i speak for a number of people that would have contributed to the cause, which I know isn't a living, but it might have eased the burden somewhat

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Unnecessary remarks removed

24. pacmanforever

pacmanforever Registered Member

While it's tiring to deal with people demanding you to add new stuff as if your opensource project was a private commercial one, that's just how things are like in all online communities. Raymond could just have asked for us (loyal users with some people skills) to help him moderate the issue tracker, and letting people make donations for him not to feel that his bug fixing time was a waste.

This sudden change is really sad because people like me spent the last months promoting his extension everywhere. I don't like the new project leader for my own personal reasons, and am going back to AdBlock+ on Firefox now.

25. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

As a firefox user, it looks like I may have arrived just in time to be too late :( However, now I'm here, I may as well ask. How do I set 'Default Deny' mode in uBlock? Unfortunately, I assume because of whatever has happened, all requests to the uBlock site are redirecting to the front page.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.