µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. drm2000

drm2000 Registered Member

I'm still confused over one point. When uBlock is updated to a new version, it would seem to me that you must read some sort of settings file to guarantee that the update is populated correctly. It would appear that this does not always happen... But I think you indicated that it wasn't necessary ... which just seems odd that you can update the extension without needing to input the setup info in some manner.

You may want to check the file picker trigger also for the "your filters" .. It also exhibited similar behavior.

Anyway, I'll watch to see what happens after you release your update.

I really appreciate both uBlock and HTTPSB extensions. They are great pieces of software.

2. drm2000

The 0.7.0.5 update was pushed out today. I didn't have any failure during the update (but not sure that it always failed before with each update).

I did check to see if the file picker was working. It seems much improved but still fails. I ran the following test:

Click "Restore from file" then select the file
    If I get the popup warning settings will be rewritten, I select cancel and start over.

I kept track of the number of "Pass" and "Fail" (Pass being that the popup occurred as expected)
    Here are the results:

Pass - 5 Times in a row
    Failure - 1 Time in a row
    Pass - 7 Times in a row
    Failure - 2 Times in a row.
    Pass - 35 Time in a row
    Fail - 1 Time in a row
    Pass - 22 Times in a row - End of test

I think it is much more reliable than before, but for some reason it still fails occasionally. During the testing, I was running with only the browser open. The CPU was only running 3 or 4 percent utilized .. so there didn't appear to be anything competing for the processor.

I also did a similar test for the "import and append" of "your filters". It also occasionally failed to do the append.

3. gorhill

gorhill Guest

The fix is not in 0.7.0.5: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/compare/0.7.0.5...master

It will be in next release.

Re "it would seem to me that you must read some sort of settings file to guarantee that the update is populated correctly":

uBlock uses a DOM storage-like API to save user settings/data. When the extension update, that storage is not touched, hence uBlock should reload just like when you restart your browser. When you restore from file, I blank that storage and write over with the parsed content of the file.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I had to stop using this (Opera) .. It seemed to get slower and slower as time went on.

I went back to Adguard, and noticed a speed boost right away, so I will stick with that.

5. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Would you mind sharing the results of your benchmark(s)? You assertion motivates me to benchmark AdGuard.

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

@gorhill I just realized the list of ublock has more hosts than the HTTP SB's one...
    Why? Thanks

7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

HTTPSB's list would better fit into the "Multipurpose" version of uBlock, but not sure it's worth it given its small size. It should be importable as a custom list though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Easy enough to do this, but it won't be until the weekend.

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I noticed a few sites not playing nicely with ublock and I wonder if I am overlooking something. The issue seems to relate to javascript, namely on some banking sites the log-in page coming up on separate page. I already disabled ublock for the main site (e.g. http://www.anz.com.au/personal/) by clicking on the icon and also tried to add www.anz.com.au to the whitelist but entering my credentials into the log-in page does not do anything, basically the page remains frozen. I noticed a similar behaviour on a separate financial site. The only way to deal with it has been to remove the extension from chrome and then later to reinstall it. Any suggestions?

10. gorhill

gorhill Guest

The hostname of the popup is "www.anz.com", so you could try to add this one in the whitelist. Personally I think disabling uBlock for a bank site is the right thing to do.

11. beethoven

thanks Gorhill, that does it. So, the click on the icon to disable is not as comprehensive? It says "for this site" - what are the restrictions in this case?

12. gorhill

gorhill Guest

"For this site" means for the hostname of the current URL address, which was "www.anz.com.au". However the popup URL address what another hostname. Unfortunately the fact the the pop-up window opens without extension icons doesn't help. I don't know why browsers keep doing this, otherwise you would have had a visual cue that the popup's s site was not whitelisted.

13. dogbite

@gorhill good, I will import it in HTTP SB. But how to download a List? I can easily view it (either in ublock or in Adblock+ Easylist site) but I was not able to get it, to import it afterwards. Thanks.

14. beethoven

Gorhill, thanks for that clarification. In this case I know what to look out for next time if a similar pop-up is from a different domain of that bank.

15. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Oh wait, I read that the other way around, I thought you wanted HTTPSB's own list in uBlock. uBlock's own list is mostly pattern-based filters, and some of them are not supported by HTTPSB's pattern filtering engine. I won't work anymore on improving HTTPSB's pattern filtering engine, or pretty much anything in HTTPSB. As said, if you want pattern-filtering, install uBlock, disabled ABP-filtering in HTTPSB.

I am currently working full-time on uMatrix, at last.

16. dogbite

uMatrix is going to be a ublock/HTTP SB combo?

17. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

nope it is other way around..
    httpsb does both net based and patter based filtering..

whereas
    uBlock does pattern based filtering..
    uMatrix does net based filtering..

18. Pilou42

Pilou42 Registered Member

Well. That's the first site I would enable it, from a security point of view (no third party authorized). :)

19. beethoven

Sorry, now I am completely confused - man, give an old man a break :)
    I am using ublock "only" and noticed that while this worked fine on most sites, some financial sites with log-in or separate window popups would no longer work. Just disabling ublock via clicking on the icon, did not work as the pop-up may originate from a different domain of that finance company. Following your advice I now disabled ublock for the site but also added the "pop-up" domain via whitelist. For me this now works - but do I use ublock incorrectly now? I would have though this is the same as in noscript in FF where I allow everything for banking sites.

20. drm2000

I'm using uBlock and HTTPSB and have no problem to log in to http://www.anz.com.au/personal/)

In UBlock I have no filters setup for this domain. I also have the ublock "Script" and "IFrame" controls turned off.

In HTTPSB I needed to allow: *.anz.com and anz.demdex.net. You also need to allow frames for anz.com

The log-in popup works without any problem. No need to whitelist the site or unload uBlock.

21. beethoven

Where do I find controls for "Script" and "Iframe". If it's under experimental features, I don't have that ticked and I can't see any other option? And just to clarify, I can access the ANZ page fine, the pop-up page does come up but entering the log-in credentials does not get me anywhere without whitelisting.

22. drm2000

The "script" and "iframe" are the experimental features and should be "greyed out" and not red in color.

Today, when I go back to the site, there is an iframe coming from anz.demdex.net that needed to be allowed in HTTPSB (yesterday the iframe only came from anz.com). So, I allowed the iframe from demdex.net and the pop-up still wouldn't work today. So then I went into chrome and allowed pop-ups for www.anz.com. After that the pop-up is working again. Yesterday, I didn't have to go thru that step .. It appears that anz.com may have different servers that serve up the login screen slightly differently.

I don't have an account at anz so can not actually complete the log-in. For my bank, from the pop-up screen it will switch to another completely different domain .. and that domain needs to be whitelisted in order to actually complete the login.

23. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

Is anyone else seeing lots of ads with ublock? Did something changed?

24. cet

cet Registered Member

I have the same problem :( Looking at 3rd party filters the list is empty.

25. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.