UBCD4WIN - Help Needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CustomHVAC, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

I have buddy's IBM Thinkpad with Windows 2000 NT that crashed, It tries to boot & get 3/4 of the way there & then a quick message something about "registry bad cannot load hive" It flashes quickly it that may not be EXACTLY the wording.

I made a UBCD4WIN with my dell OEM Dell Tower (followed the extra steps for Dell & made it with 1 warning & no errors). I got the Thinkpad to boot the UBCD & I have only tried to restore registry to original - same result " bad registry / hive thing" ( I can get the exact wording if I do it 15 more times on & off)

What should I try next ( I have no 2000 nt disk - I've used XP for the last hundred (lol) years & I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE UBCD OR 2000 NT.
    I saved his pics & stuff by taking his HD out & connecting to my tower (externally) & copying.

I just need some help in my next step before I really mess it up for good, I'm very limited in deep repairs (I have Paragon Drive back up 9 - Thanks to you guys in here!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    THANKS!

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

You could pop in the disk and repair but you say there isn't one so if your going to use ubcd4win then try the Registry Restore Wizard tool. You can also get a Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility at Microsoft. If this is what you have done with no success then run a chkdsk.

edited post.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. CustomHVAC

I have tried the registry tool to "restore registry to original" & as I had mentioned above - NO GOOD (same error). I will try the download you mentioned "Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility at Microsoft" - Would I run that from my working XP machine & have the thinkpad 2000 NT (bad computer) as an external drive to run the repair registry program?

The thinkpad won't boot, if it has to be run from there

4. CustomHVAC

Bummer :(

I need 6 floppy disks to use the program - I DON'T EVEN HAVE A FLOPPY DRIVE IN MY TOWER. Thanks for trying though, I appreciate it

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

6. CustomHVAC

7. CustomHVAC

Downloaded, burned & tried CD - Ev everything went smooth until it ended with..."Registry repair failed, contact microsoft....back to scratching my head (I mean your heads too, sorry)

I will keep the bootable registry repair cd, though - It did boot & it did try to fix it!
    Thanks

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I would check for errors on the disk.

9. CustomHVAC

Latest update

It checked for errors on it's own during the latest start-up attempt (you we're right about the errors), it found multiple bad cluster on about 10 camera photos, then re-booted & tried again - NOPE

I called my buddy & told him to;
    1: Find 2000 OEM disc or buy 2000 & Install
    & possibly a new HD

Thanks for all the input!!

P.S. I have used Paragon Drive Backup Pro 9 (giveaway) & it worked PERFECTLY - If they would only listen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.