UAC plays defense against Malware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by elapsed, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Great.

Could somebody test this in Windows 8?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you so much, MrBrian! I'll have to try later (i've no doubt it will work) because my Son has commandeered my computer to play CoD :D

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Still doesn't work. Basically pristine virtual machine (VirtualBox, Windows 7 x86, only Guest Additions and an archiver installed). Created a new folder "test" on drive C: and put bypassuac.exe there. Then in a new Command Prompt navigated to that folder and executed that command. Still says is not compatible with this version of Windows.

4. MrBrian

Maybe that executable works only on x64. I don't have a Windows 7 x86 virtual machine to test it on.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Tested successfully on Win7x64 vm. The one question I have is how would this work in the real world in disabling UAC? I had to answer the prompt: Yes/No to finalize the UAC disablement.

Attached Files:

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The first and so far only successful test was launched in the administrator account.

From my Standard account using SuRun (first 3 screenshots) to elevate cmd.exe, the test failed. Notice that the attempted command initiated a UAC alert, even though I already elevated cmd.exe with SuRun. Also notice the authentic looking Microsoft certificate detailes.

From my Standard account using UAC to elevate (last screenshot) cmd.exe, the test failed. in this last one it doesn't like the command input, although it's the one I used successfully in the admin account.

In both cases UAC remained at second from top slider level.

Attached Files:

7. MrBrian

If malware were doing this, it could use a registry API instead.

Thanks for the other tests :). UAC auto-elevation can happen only in an admin account, not a standard account, so I'm not surprised at your results.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, thanks. I did enter the credentials in the UAC prompt, but of coourse the UAC disablement was unsuccessful.

BTW, does this maybe prove, at least somewhat, the additional security running from a Standard account can provide? I can and have installed many legit programs from a Standard account mostly elevating with UAC, but this POC would not work when elevating it from the Standard account.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Microsoft just needs to make it more user-friendly with easy whitelists or auto-elevate for more people to keep it.

10. MrBrian

It shows that if you're using an admin account with UAC at less than the highest setting, and you encounter malware that successfully uses this technique, then malware can do anything on your computer without triggering a UAC prompt.

There are other UAC-evading techniques that can be used in an admin account even with UAC at max setting, as detailed in this thread.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Very good. Thanks again :)

Yes, I remember that one presented by Didier Stevens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.