Two little questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by IcePanther, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hello,

Ive been using Nod32 for quite a long time now on my laptop, and I'm quite pleased with it, but I've two minor concerns :

So, my first wonder concerns the automatic update. It works well, I've no problems with it. However, as I run it on a laptop with a WiFi connection (WPA2) I often get "can't conect to server" errors, until the laptop obtains it's IP. I wondered if there was a way to workk around this, because even if it doesn't impair NOD's functionality or security, it's slightly annoying to clean the log and having it clogged with these entries.

My second wonder is not directly NOD related, but as many of you are quite knowledgeable about security and may know products I've not heard of, I'd like to ask, if you know a generic prevention system -I mean beahavioral detection, like PrevX- which would be light (PrevX slowed down the machine much) and protect registry and application integrity (like Outpost's component control, only not limited to network applications) ?

Thanks for your answers,

Ice.

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you're not connected, how "at risk" are you? As soon as you connect, NOD32 updates itself...

can't comment on the prevx.

3. IcePanther

In fact as I said that's not a security problem, I know well I'm not vulnerable when not connected. This is more of an annoyance, as the log is clogged with "connection error" entries, as I often stand-by the machine and each time it comes out of this standby mode there are new messages (new IP wait delay). And this fills the log window up, masking other useful entries.

There may be a way in the scheduler to prevent this, but the "at logon" option isn't good enough, as it won't be repeated (and if it's repeadted I fear it will do the same ath the current one "every hour")

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try changing your connection type to "Dial up" in Control Centre> Update> Setup> Advanced.

Cheers :D

5. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

My network here in my home with 3xdesktops and 1xlaptop both run on wireless and RJ45 Ethernet plus all PC's networked. The laptop and my PDA are the only devices running wireless 801.11b/g connection using a Netgear WG602 WAP. In terms or performance of NOD32 on my laptop running I have never encountered any problems what so ever and it updates all the time. I am suggesting here that you have prob have not setup your wireless correctly or perhaps even your FW could be blocking it.

Questions

1. What laptop are you using ?
    2. Has it got built in WiFi or are you using a seperate wireless NIC ?
    3. What wireless router are you using ?
    4. Do you get any probs with Internet connection ?
    5. How do your other updates perform, eg Windows etc ?

Like I said NOD32 should update auto. with a wireless connection as it does with me and I cant see why it shouldn't with you.

6. IcePanther

@Blackspear

Thanks, I'll keep you informed if this helps or not.

@Albinoni

I've no problems whatever on any applications using Internet (this excluding MSN messanger) and all my windows apps are Ok. There's really no problem with my WiFi, in fact maybe I've not been so clear.
    This happens when Nod tries to update, before the IP is given to the laptop (I use DHCP as I use different APs depending on my location) and doesn't check connectivity, so this leads to an error and I have either to wit the next schedule or to update manually.

Sorry If I mislead you.

7. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

What IcePanther is looking for is a way to delay the start of the updating until the wireless has got a valid connection.

Oh, and I dont know the answer

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Exactly, and I'm pretty sure changing to Dialup will resolve the situation.

Cheers :D

9. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

This info may help (usual caveats apply: backup, backup and then backup)

Try moving the NOD32 service to the end of the service start up list

It is possible to modify the order that the services start:

Start the Regitry Editor (regedt32.exe, not regedit.exe)
    Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceGroupOrder
    Double click on List in the right hand pane
    You can then move the groups around in the list order
    Click OK
    Close the registry editor

The startup order for win 2000 and above is:

BootExecute
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecuteServices
    User enters a password and logon to the system
    UserInit

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit
    Shell
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    All Users-RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    All Users-Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    All Users-RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    All Users-RunEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
    Current User-RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    Current User-Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Current User-RunOnceEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    Current User-RunEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
    Common Startup Folder
    Startup Folder

Maybe you could move the nod32krn service to the end of this list? (not sure if it is possible though)

10. IcePanther

@PC-support

I don't think this would help, since it's not at startup that I've got a problem, but when the computer comes out of stand-by mode / hibernate mode. So, the start-up order of the services is not the problem here I think, but, as you said before, checking for a valid connection before updating.

@Blackspear

Nope, it didn't help, but I noticed the schedule remained as it was before I changed the setting to dial-up mode. Maybe I need to change the schedule, too ? But won't it affect security if I move it to the dial-up schedule, since then it will update ONLY when I take it off standby/hibernate/power-off(:D ) mode ?

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Have you tried the latest version of Prevx, Prevx1? It's a lot faster than previous versions, and the version currently in testing is even faster (no noticible difference with or without it installed). Even further optimizations are always in the works.

12. IcePanther

Yup I tried it, but it slowed the machine, too. Less than the previous version, I must admit. But at least on my system it affected in a heavy way the overall performance so I uninstalled it again. But I have to say, they've improved their product, that's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.