Two instances of Opera.exe in task mgr?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Seer, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello everyone.

This bizarre event is not happening when only using Opera, but the one instance is always there, even when I exit the program (the second one goes away). What is more puzzling is that even after reboot I can still see Opera.exe in task mgr (which always takes about 7 megs). When I kill it, it goes away and doesn't return, without problems. But this question simply puzzles me, although it doesn't seem to impact any functionality. BTW, I just got me a brand new PC a few days ago :D , and decided to switch to Opera from FF. So the HD is formatted a few days ago. And yes, I have tried Opera forums first, and saw a couple of threads there

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=173207

and

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=173439

dealing with the same issue, but without a satisfactory conclusion (or any, to be more precise). So I just thought to ask this, in my opinion, highly esteemed community for any thoughts on this matter. Thanks for any posible replies in advance,

The Seer.

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Not a single reply in 10 days? C'mon Wilders, I'm sure there are a lot of Opera users around here. Well, I will change my question then:

Does anybody who uses Opera also sees two instances in tasks?

This is not really a serious issue if issue at all, perhaps that's just the way that Opera behaves (out of some to me unknown reason), but it's in my nature to always try to explain the unknown. Cheers :D

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The Seer, i've never saw what you reported. I'm clueless. If i find anything, i'll report. But only one instance here.

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Have you tried uninstalling opera and seeing if the second instance of it still appears in the task manager

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have seen a couple of the early versions do this because they were allowed to remain in memory for fast start up. this is not needed as Opera starts very fast anyway. and as long as it is active in memory it will show in the task manager

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. Thank you for replies. Glad to see other opinions.

No, but if you are suggesting that a possible malware has settled on my rig, I think that is unlikely. I will be trying what you proposed anyway.

Well, I am aware of such preloading of certain apps. But I haven't noticed any decrease in Opera startup when I kill both instances, so I doubt it uses such feature. Besides, as I stated in the inital post, opera.exe of 7 megs is there immediately after reboot. But you reminded me, I used Opera also a few years ago, and seems that I vaguely recollect the same behavior.

Thank you all again, but after some thinking, I'm not sure if I should bother with this event anymore.
    This thread may still be continued by someone having the similar issue.
    Thank you all again.

My regards. :)
    :thumb:

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Do you have 2 Operas in add/remove or in Spybots permanent opera immunity?

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello zapjb.

Thanks for your reply as well.
    No ,I don't have 2 Operas in add/remove. As for you second question, if you are referring to some feature in Spybot S&D I don't use SSD nor TeaTimer, so no. But all of you have intrigued me to dig this deeper, so I just studied that Sysinternals LoadOrder stuff, and not a hint of Opera there either. Now, it's a real mystery, isn't it?

To Texcritter:
    Still haven't try to uninstall Opera, I'm using it right now. I'll report on that when I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.