Two instances of explorer.exe with Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm 'testing' AntiVir PE Premium again and I can confirm (again) that two instances of explorer.exe appears on taskmgr when I have Avira installed.

Why is this behavior and how can it be fixed? o_O It ONLY happen with Avira!

2. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

I use avira and I don't have this problem... When you turn off avira the second instance of explorer.exe goes away?

3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I run both Classic and Premium and never saw a double instance,either.
    Hence,problem arises from another program.

4. newAntiVir

newAntiVir Registered Member

i've been seeing the same thing. second explorer.exe always there, but it wasn't before. first time avira user here, on that 6 month premium deal posted the other day.

Attached Files:

5. Arup

Arup Guest

No such problems here, either in XP32 or 64 with Avira Premium.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've never seen a double instance of explorer.exe and I have had Avira since January on XP Pro SP2.

7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I can easily get a second explorer.exe anytime. If I use another program, say uTorrent for example, and right-click on whatever I'm downloading and select "Open folder" while I already have a folder open somewhere, the new folder will trigger another explorer.exe. At least on Vista, don't know about XP.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just tried what you described and I didn't get another instance of explorer.exe.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Never seen that issue here with either the Premium or Suite or Free versions. I suspect that something else is going on there and it has nothing to do with Avira.

10. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Well, maybe it doesn't have anything to do with Avira. However, Avira sometimes has a few little bugs on certain pc's so I wouldn't rule it out 100 percent.

Macstorm, if you want, post on the Avira forum about it and see what they say.

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

It has nothing to do with Avira. My Computer -> Folder Options -> Tools -> Launch folder windows in a seperate process. If this is checked then when you open any folder, it'll launch explorer.exe as a seperate process. You can verify it from the different PID.

12. Macstorm

Thanks All for your responses.
    Indeed, I CAN confirm this strange behavior is related to AntiVir and I have tried both versions (free & premium) before. However, this extra explorer.exe does not run all the time along with Avira but only under some circumstances which I can't identify. As I said before, what I am sure is this behavior IS related to AntiVir. About 14 years dealing with pc's, this is the first time I experience something like this with explorer.exe.
    I did what Thanasis159 said and yes, the second process goes away.
    Last time I tried AntiVir (about 3 months ago) this was acting exactly the same as described above. Some time ago I remember have read somewhere something like pc users running intel dual core processors could experience behavior like above mentioned.
    Any ideas.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What if you were to just let the 2 instances of explorer run and forget about it... ?

14. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Agreed.
    http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6540/fldroptoq1.jpg

You can run Process Explorer to find out which process is the "parent" of explorer.exe:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

---
    Edit: correct imageshack url

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

16. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

So what you're saying is check to see if "Open each folder in its own window" and if it is, change it to "Open each folder in the same window"

17. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Ok, no problem.

Nope, it is "Launch folder windows in a separate process"

Attached Files:

18. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I'm just saying that two instances of explorer.exe can be explained by the setting I mentioned in my previous post (Nubiatech posted a nice screenshot).

I'm not even saying its an issue. One can easily trace the files and i bet they are both the same explorer.exe. If that is not the case then its some nasty malware posing as explorer.exe (which I doubt since Avira is installed ;) ).

@Macstorm

1. Have you checked the setting I mentioned? If the option is checked then unchecking will fix the supposed issue.

2. If its unchecked then see if both files are the same one.

3. Does the issue go away when you uninstall Avira and come back immedietly when you install it?

19. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Ah, okay, I was looking in "general tab", my mistake.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ahhh....a picture is worth a 1000 words. ;)

That was a nice screen shot nubiatech.

21. Macstorm

Thanks AMRX, yes I have that setting enabled and unchecking it fix the 'issue'.
    On the other hand, I found out what's causing the second explorer.exe to open in separate process: it happens everytime 'my documents' folder is opened, then if closed the second instance goes away.
    As for your question n.3: Yes, I don't know why this happen only when I have Avira installed. Never with other AV or program.

Well, case closed I guess. Thanks to All for your help :thumb:

22. Arin

Arin Registered Member

So that means Avira has nothing to do with it. When you open any folder while that setting has been enabled, you'll get two instances of explorer.exe. Its not a bad thing since it makes your computer more stable. If somehow the second instance crashes, it won't take the shell down with it. ;)

That is plain weird. :doubt: Because if this setting is enabled then you should see the same thing while opening any folder even when Avira is not installed. But I'm glad the issue has been ironed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.