Tutorials

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shankle, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I have had a lot of computer experience but this progam
    has me up against the wall. I can do the the full image backup and restore and have success. But that is where it ends. I am actually afraid to try any of the fancy gadgets.
    I think a lot of tutorials should be written aimed at the 8 year old level of undertstanding. On this site I see item after item of people using terms that I have no idea what they are talking about. For instance what is the function of a Clone and how does it work. What is Mount/Unmount? What is Secure zone and why would I use it or need it? How to pick a folder off of a Full Image backup that has been backed up to DVDs. These are the kind of things that need to be written about in great detail. Possibly a function on the site would be a place for tutorial suggestions and for reading tutorials. Something is needed or so many people would not be asking so many questions.
    It's not entirely the fault of Acronis as a lot of people have
    trouble with a program of this difficulty. (me included, been using it for several years)

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Look for any message by GroverH or Mudcrab. They both have excellent tutorials as links in their signature.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty for the referrals.

Shankle,
    Becoming more literate on the terms of interest will require an investment of your time and the time required can be considerable. The time will be well spent.

My guides below (line 2 of signature) can assist making you more comfortable about using TrueImage (TI). To learn more about the various terms, you will need to check out many of the threads (Wilders Security threads on common True Image problems and solutions) listed in the sticky on the first line of my signature. The more you read, the more you will understand.

One final thing. TI offers you the capability of practicing many of the functions. You can simulate backups and restores and clones using the program up to the point of clinking the PROCEED or CANCEL option. Be sure and click the cancel button when performing practice only.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Ahh .. when the student is ready the master will appear. :D :D

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shankle,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please also notice that you can find detailed information and instructions for Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guides.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. DaveyBear

DaveyBear Registered Member

Marat, it should be noted that the user manual does have what appears to be inconsistencies or conflicts in the information presented. I offer, just as one example, chapter 3.5 of the manual which states;

"A backup location will have the following attributes:
    • flexible in size
    • allows its behavior to be customized and its contents to be displayed
    • located in a common folder on a local, external or networked drive or FTP server instead of a separate protected partition, such as the Acronis Secure Zone."

I take that last bulleted paragraph to mean that the ASZ is not a suitable location for a backup. What say you?

I butted in here because I have the same problem as the OP. I am trying to put a full data backup on an external USB drive, and it stops when it reaches a certain point. This stop is happening when ATI is trying to backup image files.

7. DaveyBear

DaveyBear Registered Member

Please forgive me for mis-posting...the last paragraph of my above post was in reference to a different thread. :oops:

Hmmm...a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DaveyBear,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Actually, the last bulleted paragraph you quoted serves a purpose to indicate a (possibly) main difference of Acronis Backup Locations from (otherwise similar) Acronis Secure Zone. Some like their archives visible and easily accessible like any other files in folders; some like their to be hidden out of the harm's way (like restore partitions placed by some manufacturers on their computers).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

What?!!!!! And leave out the vast electorate?!!! ;-)

10. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Shieber read your comment left but had to come back
    to ask a burning question. I'm assuming it refers to politics.
    How low do we have to go to meet that criteria?
    Is negative permissible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.