Tunneling through a VPN

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by caspian, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Someone mentioned a while back that when you tunnel through a VPN, the tunnel service sees your true IP. I had always thought that they would look back and see the VPN, who would in turn see the true IP.

Several months ago I tried a link that was a proof of concept for using Java to expose a true IP while using tor (without using noscrypt, of course). But when I clicked on the link while connected to tor, it did not reveal my true IP. It revealed Xerobank's IP.

So does anyone know for sure what the tunnel service would see? The true IP or the VPN's IP?

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Caspian,

Depends on the Java program. Makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on how you are chaining the proxies.

The Java can discover your internal network IP, and if it is a very smart Java program, it will bypass the VPN, change the routing tables, change interface stuff. If your Java program was trying to do a simple leak or initiate some plugins, the VPN would probably beat it. If you were trying to do the attack from inside xB Machine, it would never be able to beat it. :D

What does the Java poc do and how?

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL! Well I certainly don't know anything about chaining a proxy. And as far as tunneling through a VPN, all I have experimented with is running Tor through XB and I tried Perfect Privacy's tunnel through XB. Although I canceled the PP account for now since I was rarely using it and I don't really have the extra cash just to have it around right now.

Tor is interesting to use every once in a while. I don't know much so I learn just by fiddling around a little and thinking about it. If I had to use Tor all of the time, I would probably blow a fuse and end up in a padded room. It is just so hideously slow it makes me want to scream.

The perfect Privacy tunnel was interesting and I thought it was pretty cool to be able to change my IP to another country. I liked choosing Russia, hehe! Slower than the VPN for sure.

Obviously if the tunnel service kept logs or if they were in a jurisdiction where someone else was automatically collecting all of the data, then it would be like shooting myself in the foot. If as people have suggested that Tor exit nodes are dangerous, then that is another problem.

I participate in a lot of discussions on various message boards etc... and my views are pretty far left. I have been threatened more than once just for peacefully (but very thoroughly:p ) criticizing a socially conservative view. So if I am on a message board and want to voice an unpopular view without damaging the rapport I have with certain members, then it would be nice to be able to use a completely different message board account and IP address. But so far I am not so sure that it is necessarily a secure way to go (tunneling through a VPN, that is).

But I am definitely ready to start using XB Machine. I am blown away with the idea of having that much security. Any idea when the new version will be ready?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.