Tuneup 2010

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sportsfan7700, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Would this be a good item to purchase? I am going to be using this pc for a work environment soon and am wondering (for general maintence) this would be a good program. It has a lot of features that I have liked in the trial and wondering what yall's opinions of it are?

2. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I like TuneUp.
    The newer year's versions will even fix a few security risks for you (disable remote access to the registry, etc).
    Alternatively, Glary Utilities Free will maintain your PC almost as well and it's obviously a much more cost-effective solution.

3. guest

guest Guest

Negligible benefits on a well administered system.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I like the program and have been using it for years. And yes, it may have little impact on a well administered system but IMO it can be part of the process of maintaining a well maintained system.

For example, defragging is part of a well maintained system. So saying that 2010 will have little impact on a well administered system is sort of like saying that defragging will have little impact on a system that has just been defragged. This, of course is true, but is besides the point.

Of course there are many ways to have a well administered machine. IMO using 2010 is part of the process of properly administering the system.

5. guest

guest Guest

TuneUP Utilities is mostly a paid facilitator. In summary, it provides:

- easy access to some windows built-in tools + automated tweaks, "optimizations" and "repairs" that can be done manually if needed;

- a more feature-rich Registry Editor, which can be useful but isn't something people tend to use with frequency. Guess it depends on your needs.

- some utilities implemented in basic levels:

> Drive Defragmentation is already done automatically by Win7 when needed. TuneUP Utilities isn't great for advanced defrag tasks. Compare it with free Defraggler or paid Perfect Disk.

> Registry Cleaning doesn't noticeable improve performance. Can break things, though this is a rare event. Can fix some weird problems - which need to appear first. The registry is better when left free of problems alone - like in a well administered system.

> Registry compacting/defragging can be good only in poor managed systems where big software installations/uninstallations are frequent tasks. If really needed, you can install Quicksys Regdefrag for free, which is dedicated to the job.

> Memory cleaning is not very useful in a well maintained system with apps of quality. If done wrong, can be seriously performance degrading. The free CleanMem seems to be the best of the class.

> Disk/shortcut cleaning/secure deletion of data is incomplete in TuneUP Utilities. If you are serious about this, get the free Ccleaner.

> System Information in TuneUP Utilities is incomplete and a free app like SIW does a better job.

ALL IN ALL, I maintain my opinion that TuneUP Utilities provides negligible benefits on a well administered system.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

TuneUp Utilities 2010

Since version 2010, many users have complained that
    TuneUp Utilities have been Bloat-Ware.

I replaced TuneUp Utilities with Ace Utilities which offer more reliable:
    a) Junk File Cleaner, b) File/Folder Eraser, and c) Registry Cleaner.

7. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I agree with Espozito. The new 2010 version is loaded with autostart items and services which IMHO are unnecessary. Who wants an automated registry repair utility? :ninja: Given that this kind of apps can destroy your system in one pass it's very dangerous to let them do the job automatically.

Also, what the hell is that Turbo Mode or whatever name they gave it? I still don't understand what does that module do! o_O o_O o_O

Having been an usual user of the previous versions, I tend not to install TU 2010 in my well maintained systems! :D :cool:

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have heard this so many times that I just do not understand how it is I have a functioning PC at all. I mean I have been using both TuneUp Utilities and Ace Utilities for at least 7 or 8 years and I have yet to experience a problem cause by either. In fact, I began using programs like this to solve problems I was having and they did do just that (Dell support was useless so I had to take matters into my own hands). At some point I felt it reasonable to not wait for a problem to develop and just run the programs on a regular (once a month) basis.

OH, by the way, both programs back up the registry before making any changes (fixes) so in the event there is a problem its no biggie to revert. Couple that with a regular drive image program (weekly) and whats there to worry about?

Personally I feel the idea that these programs can trash your system has more myth to it than substance.

9. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

:thumb: +1 agree with you.
    No problem so far. TU2010 did well. Back up function also worked well. I run it every two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.