Tune Up Utilities or something better?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pr3d4ToR, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pr3d4ToR

Pr3d4ToR Registered Member

Hi..i'm Using Tune Up Utilities 2006 and i'd like to know if there is something better than this software or if it is the best one of his cathegory

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

depends on what features u want.

i personally use Ace Utilities. it doesnt have as much features as TuneUp, but i only need a disk and registry cleaner.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: According my own hand-on experience. There are other three in the similair calibe as Tune-up; Fix it utilities, System mechanics and TweakNow power pack. You have to try them out and decide it yourself. The outstanding difference lies between Tune UP and others is that Tune Up does not upgrade its bulid within the same version very often, that could translate to product stability and reliability. Just few thoughts for you to entertain.:-*

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I liked the looks of Tune Up, almost bought it, but I don't really need it in a frozen snapshot.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I've been using TU2006 for most of this year and I like it a lot. I also have jv16 PowerTools by Macecraft which has a far more aggressive registry cleaner than TU2006, but it is also more prone to deleting entries that are still in use!

Over the 9 months that I've been using TU2006 it has served me well in terms of system 'housekeeping' and it has never caused any problems. I highly recommend it for its easy/safe use - I really don't think you can do much better.

6. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

It depends what you are using it for.
    Most of TuneUp's functions can fairly easily be replaced by a variety of free software:
    e.g. Reg Cleaner = RegSeeker
    Win clean up= CCleaner
    'tweaking' = TweakUI for WinXP
    Styler+ logon Loader for Eye candy
    Icon Tweaker for changing icons etc.
    It all depends whether you want it in one application.
    I have to say I use it because I like both having all this in one application and I like its clean up tools.
    The reg cleaner is IMHO invariably safe (if neither the most configurable or thorough).
    In line with the infinite wisdom of pvsurfer I also use jvpower tools 2006 as a second reg cleaner but you need to watch this a bit as it can be a little too aggressive.
    Ace Utilities is very good as an all round cleaner and if that is your primary use for TuneUp I'd go with that or add jvpower tools.
    If not I'd stick with what you've got.
    P.S. There are nearly as many opinions on reg cleaners as there are on back up tools - ErikAlbert has already done the hard work for us:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=143182
    and
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=129916

7. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Winxp manager does a good job. Iv actually tried dozens, i ended up with this, and doing the rest of the tweaks by hand.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use Ace Utilities.
    It has an excellent registry cleaner and junk file remover.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use Ace Utilities for system clean-up. I use Fix-It to make repairs. Ace is the janitor. Fix-it is the repairman.

Fix-It will detect and repair a wide spectrum of disk structure & directory structure issues. It also has an intelligent disk defragger that will watch the frequency with which you use various apps on your computer, and arrange them accordingly during defrag. It also has a registry defragger & numerous other useful routines.

I have used Fix-it since 1996 in successive versions. It has done the job for me. I have never used TUN so cannot make a comparison.

10. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I just ran the "Registry Cleaner" function in TU2006 and in it's 1st sweep it found around 325 errors. After fixing them, it recommended to run a 2nd sweep to catch any additional errors left behind. Well it found around 425 more errors (which I also deleted).

TOTAL it found about 750 errors.....which is more than the other registry cleaners that I use (Registry Healer, Ace Utilities, CCleaner).

I have NOT encountered any problems after also defragging the registry and rebooting (fingers crossed).

Is it TYPICAL for TU2006 to find this MANY registry errors and from past experiences....how SAFE is this program?

Thanks.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use nothing except CCleaner but just to remove junk files, no regitry stuff at all. No other tunings. I wonder if all these tunings are basically marketing tactics.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i generally found TuneUp Utilities to be safe, but it does find more entries than either ace utilities or ccleaner.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, birdman, it is not unusual for TuneUp's reg cleaner to find so many errors during its FIRST sweep. It has happened to me the very same way 14 months ago, and I am still running this very same PC flawlessly since. A vote of confidence, indeed.:thumb:

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Tune Up 2006 is very nice. No FPs for me.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.