Trying to Understand the Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by H08590, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H08590

H08590 Registered Member

I am trying to understand TI 10 before I decide to purchase it. Obviously I am new to this. P. 13 of the manual states that the secure zone is for "storing backups on the computer system itself." In addition, p. 57 states that the zone "can be located on any internal disk." Well, I had not wanted to store my backups on my hard drive, but rather to an external hard drive that I have, for space and security reasons. Does this mean that the backup can't be on the external drive, or that it just won't be in the Secure ZOne. If it is the latter, what are the disadvantages to not having the backup in the Secure Zone? Will it not be "secure." I'm just not understanding this. Thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The SZ is a special hidden partition on a disk that only ATI can access. It's purpose was to provide folks with only one hardisk a place to make backups -- better than not having backups at all but not much help when the harddisk goes south.

The SZ doesn't have to be made on the source disk, it can be put on any harddisk. Why someone would want to is, frankly, beyond me. It does provide some automatic management of backup files based on amount of space used but you cna do that now more easily with ATI10 and not have to deal with hidden partitions.

3. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I have my archives on a USB external drive.

You could archive in an Acronis Secure Zone on your internal HDD. In this case, if Windows fails to boot, you would press F11 to restore from the Secure Zone. That's fine if the internal HDD is not physically damaged.

Some may use the ASZ to archive Applications and be able to work during restore. However, there appears to be incompatibilities between ATI and certain applications whereas, for those, only settings and data may be backed up.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello H08590,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please take a look at this thread to understand how Acronis Secure Zone works.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.