Trustware’s Holiday Giveaway- BufferZone Pro for Free

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Trustware, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I was planning on using this on a laptop but if it is leaking files then that defeats the purpose of having it. I think I'll just put Sandboxie or GeSWall on it instead.

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I looked up a review on YouTube and I did see it leak out what I think is a SpyEye trojan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWf15HsoJU

Though it should do a rather good job teamed up with an AV/Anti-Malware

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

It could relate to just my setup which I'm trying to sort out.

4. Franklin

OK, I "think" I've got it sorted.

A setting under Configuration - Advanced Policy was to save all signed installers outside the BZ.

Changing this setting to save all signed installers to "in Bufferzone" and no more elcrappo is being created on the real system.

The third pic shows the exes that were created outside the BZ so they must have signed installers.

Signed.JPG

2.JPG

3.jpg

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

That is good to know. :thumb:

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Just checked the BZ Forum today. They have confirmed there is a problem with BZ, re: loss of Chrome bookmarks, extensions and preference settings when Chrome is sandboxed. Refers to latest rel of Chrome. They will have it fixed in the next release. No date given.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I tried BufferZone on Windows 7 x86 and I couldn't figure out how to save files to the real system. The "help" says you only need to right-click on a file in the sandbox and select "move outside the sandbox" (or something like that), but that option did not appear on the menu. Did I miss something? I uninstalled it, but I would try it again if someone can explain this.

8. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I had a hard time working with files also. When I right clicked a chose "Move Outside BZ" it doesn't say where the file goes and I couldn't find it.

If you didn't have this on your context menu sounds like the install went wrong some where.

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Not sure about Chrome but in IE I had to save my bookmarks outside of BZ. Then going back into a BZ session, the bookmarks are there. I wish someone could tell me how to save the bookmarks in BZ permanetly.

About saving files, they would be in the location where you would normally save stuff in. Then going to that directory, you would see the file with a little bufferzone icon on it. Just right click and select move outside of BZ and it will remove the icon and remain in that directory. However, before doing that, I would scan the file with your AV etc....

Ice

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Let me try to explain

When a file is downloaded into Bufferzone a BZ-link is placed in the folder you put it, e.g. NEW_FILE.doc.virtual while the real file is put in the sandbox folder (C:\Virtual\Untrusted) with the name NEW_FILE.doc

When you click on the BZ-link file and move it out of the buffezone, the real file is moved to the place where the BZ link was

After download

C:\User\Kees\Downloads
    NEW_FILE.doc.virtual

C:\Virtual\Untrusted\
    NEW_FILE.doc

After the move out of BZ

C:\User\Kees\Downloads
    NEW_FILE.doc

C:\Virtual\Untrusted\
    empty

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I know the cookies are allways put in BZ sandbox and I thought the favorites folder was not cleared when emptying the BZ sandbox. Not using it right now, so can't test it for you.

12. IceCube1010

I just tested it to be sure and it does remove it, if you select all 3 items to empty in the BZ. It's really not to much of a hassle to save the link outside of BZ and then go back into a BZ session and the link is there.

Ice

13. IceCube1010

Yes, under the covers this is how it's done.
    thanks
    Ice

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I will have to reinstall and try this. I'm also curious about how the sandbox effects other security software. Is it possible for resident antivirus to monitor download activity in the sandbox? What about something like Zemana Antilogger - can it control key/screen logging activity? Seems to me that a sandbox could actually reduce some security functionality.

15. IceCube1010

I thought the same with BZ, SBIE etc... but your AV will still see the infection and remove it regardless if it's in the sandbox or not. I just tested BZ with the eicar file and MSE removed the infections like it should.
    Ice

16. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I put it on a laptop and so far I like it. I also have Avira and Online Armor on it and so far there are no conflicts. BufferZone works well with the other programs.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

So how is it running on everyones machine?

18. IceCube1010

BZ pro with MSE on win7 32 using IE 8 and it's running great so far.
    Ice

19. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

So far I have not had any trouble with it. It seems to run light on the laptop I'm using it on.

20. Franklin

Still not happy with it here.

Even though no exes are created on the real system with that extra setting there still seems to be empty folders and dead shortcuts all over the place after emptying the bz?

I run a malware sample that drops both malware and supposed legit apps and let it run for several minutes then delete the BZ and reboot.

I conduct a search with Agent Ransack to show all files/folders created today and there's nearly 700 empty folders, .dat files and dead virtual shortcuts still around.

Could be my setup as I'm seeing the same with Geswall but not with Sandboxie or Defensewall.

One.JPG

Two.JPG

21. IceCube1010

I have experienced the same also even with legit programs running in the BZ. I also noticed this with Geswall. I never saw this with SBIE. I have never used defensewall so I can't comment on it.

I think it protects good but like you, I'm not crazy about all the empty directories and virtual shortcuts that are left behind.

Ice

22. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

You should post this over at BZ forum.

23. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

So any word on x64 compatibility?

24. jerick70

jerick70 Registered Member

Does anyone know what happened to Trustware's website? I haven't been able to access it for the last week. Is anyone else having this problem?

25. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I have no problem accessing the website.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.