Trust-No-Exe -- Anybody used it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I haven't used that version however i have used exelockdown from horizondatasys which is an improved version of trustnoexe. Horizondatasys have discontinued the product so its freely available from many sites.
    Exelockdown allows you to scan your hdd for exe files which it places in a whitelist. You can then password protect it so no new exe's can run. You can also blacklist current exe's to stop them from running. It installs into the control panel and uses no resources, no services.
    The only drawback is doesn't check file integrity. If an allowed exe gets modified it will still allow it to run.

Personally i'd recommend using one of the current free hips which allows you to do the same thing and is more secure.

3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Yes, used it ages ago and its good for what it does. if you want to fully lock down your pc. expect lots of popups. i went on to use process guard and now i use kaspersky, so i don't use it anymore.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use Faronics Anti-Executable, the professional version of Trust-No-Exe and Exe LockDown. :)

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I hope they make vista version soon. What do you guys think of the whole whitelisting concept? There seems to be a lot of noise in the industry that AV labs are getting overwhelmed by blacklisting and are looking to acquire whitelisting enterprise solutions.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Blacklists are never complete and it's a neverending task of collecting the bad stuff of the bad guys. I keep any comments for myself this time.

Prevx has a whitelist and blacklist of "all" softwares world-wide, at least that is the intention, but that is also a neverending task.

Smart whitelists are always based on what is installed on your computer and those are short and need to be created only one time, the rest is maintenance.
    I have 4 such whitelists :
    1. Anti-Executable = whitelist of all executable objects on my system partition.
    2. Freeze Storage = whitelist of all objects on my system partition.
    3. Clean Archive = whitelist of all objects on my system partition to re-create my Freeze Storage.
    4. Clean Image = whitelist of all objects on my system partition as backup of my Clean Archive.

These whitelists keep :
    - my system partition malware-free without false positives and true negatives.
    - my registry clean and do a much better job than any existing registry cleaner and without errors.
    - my system/software folders clean and do a much better job than any existing history/junk cleaner and without errors.
    - my system partition trouble-free, including my mistakes, intentional or not.
    They cure my system partition constantly.

No blacklist of any kind is able to do this and although I have all this already, I'm still not satisfied.
    I'm waiting for something else, that doesn't exist yet. It has something to do with "time".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.