TrueImage Server 8.0 on SuSE Linux 10.1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vincent-de, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincent-de

vincent-de Registered Member

Hi,

I am using the above combination, I have the kernel sources installed, made a mrproper / cloneconfig / modules_prepare config and tried to recompile / reinstall trueimage, which worked well under 10.0.

Just calling trueimage-setup leads to a segmentation fault.

Calling trueimage-setup --norpm (as mentioned in another thread) builds the module, stops at 100 % and advises to consult the log files.

Those are:

- /var/log/trueimage-setup.log
    - /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/make.log

which are attached and listed---due to the one file max limit---to this posting.

Help.

Cheers
    Vince

/var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/make.log:

DKMS make.log for snapapi26-0.6.7 for kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13-smp (i586)
    Sun Jul 23 00:30:25 CEST 2006
    make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13-obj/i386/smp'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13-obj/i386/smp modules
    CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.o
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c: In function ‘session_devinfo’:
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1399: error: ‘struct hd_struct’ has no member named ‘reads’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1400: error: ‘struct hd_struct’ has no member named ‘read_sectors’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1401: error: ‘struct hd_struct’ has no member named ‘writes’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1402: error: ‘struct hd_struct’ has no member named ‘write_sectors’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1405: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘reads’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1405: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘res’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1405: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘reads’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1406: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘read_sectors’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1406: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘res’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1406: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘read_sectors’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1407: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘writes’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1407: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘res’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1407: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘writes’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1408: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘write_sectors’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1408: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘res’
    /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.c:1408: error: ‘struct disk_stats’ has no member named ‘write_sectors’
    make[3]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build/snapapi26.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.7/build] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13-obj/i386/smp'

Attached Files:

2. vincent-de

Is it not possible to solve this issue? I really need the functionality ... and I paid a lot of money for the software ... any ideas?

Cheers
    Vince

3. joestick007

joestick007 Registered Member

Hallo,

Do you have solved your problem? I have exactly the same problem.
    Any solutions?
    Thanks

4. vincent-de

Hi,

no, I am terribly sorry: I didn't receive any answer yet.

I also contacted - or tried to do so - Acronis. I mailed them, used the support form, tried the phone numbers that are on their web site and wrote a letter - not a single reply.

I find this very strange ... I used to heavily promote these guys, but if this is the way customers are treated, I rather doubt to continue with that ... especially as the Linux version costs hell of a money ... :-(

--
    Cheers
    Vince

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vincent-de,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the kernel sources did not match the kernel you are running or you use not correct config file.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. vincent-de

Hi,

the subject of the auto reply was

[Acronis #633456] Segmentation fault

I hope, that we can solve this problem now ...

--
    Cheers
    Vince

7. Acronis Support

Hello Vince,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I have contacted with Acronis Support Team and they assure me that they will contact you as soon as possible.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. vincent-de

Hi,

thank you for your support so far.

But honestly: This is an outrage, a mess, a desaster.

I contacted the support on the 3rd of July 2006 - and today (2006-09-09) I got a reply.

And the only option the support proposes is to provide seperate snapapi modules for my system.

I thought buying such an extremely expensive solution would at least include the support for upcoming versions of the operating system. It is not plausible in any way why it should not be provided.

I even - for a second - considered buying the upgrade to version 9.1. But even the upgrade is so f...unny expensive (two thirds of the retail price) that it's not even worth spending a thought about it ... to get a running TrueImage server would have cost me 1,000 USD in a roughly two years time ... what do the guys from the marketing / pricing department think the users are?

I really want an updated version or I want to return the software and want to have my money back.

Completely frustrated and disappointed
    :thumbd:

9. Acronis Support

Hello vincent-de,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as Marina Fadeeva explain in the e-mail Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux is not developed anymore. Therefore, the only workaround we can offer is to provide you with updated snapapi modules.

We are truly sorry that you encountered the problem with using Acronis True Image and hope that you will be able to solve this issue with help of Acronis Support Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. vincent-de

The team is now very helpful as they provide new modules every fortnight in order to meet the new kernel.

But honestly: Although 8.0 might no longer be developed you should follow one out of several possible options:

1. Provide a "final release" which incorporates the new modules and which compiles easily under new kernels.

2. Provide a download facility for the new modules, which allow the customer to incorporate them himself

3. Offer a "reasonable" upgrade path to the new version.

As I stated earlier, I paid 600 EUR for the 8.0 this year and a few months after I am not able to use the software? And an upgrade would cost another 400 EUR? Do you really think that this is customer service? Where is my investment protection? Besides this: The upgrade should cost something like 100 or 150 EUR maximum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.