TrueImage Home 10 - Cloning to New Replacement System Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RDM, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDM

RDM Registered Member

I am upgrading a failing WD 200G SATA Drive with a WD250G SATA Drive. I have Cloned (Automatic) my current C; Drive to the new drive successfully but when I shut down after completion & remove the "old" drive, my System comes back with "Operating System Not Found".

I have reconnected my "old" C; Drive & the system fires up ... with my "new" 250G drive assigned a J; Drive - with all of the cloned info there.

How do I get my system to recognize the new drive?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Did you check that the computer is set to boot from the new drive's position or did you putit in in place of the one you removed ?

Xpilot

3. RDM

RDM Registered Member

I have done both ,,, the original Drive was connected to SATA0 connector on the board so I cnnected the new Drive to SATA 0 & disconnected the original drive. I have also gone into the System BIOS & have insured my new 250G Drive is the only Boot Drive. Neither has allowed my sustem to "see" the operating system on my new Drive. Any additional insight(s) greatly appreciated.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

When you say "I have Cloned (Automatic)", exactly what steps did you take. It sounds like no cloning was ever done. Thus the "No Operating System Found message". Can you backup the original drive to an external drive and then restore the image to the new drive?

5. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

If memory serves when using True Image Home you need to 'Add New Disk' (which partitions the new disk and means that it is recognised by the operating system...check under My Computer to see if the new disk shows up when connected to the IDE channel...it will not if it is not partitioned with at least one primary partition) and then 'Clone Disk' (to tranfer the data from the old disk to the new); both found under 'Manage Hard Disks' on the main UI.

At least that was the sequence that I used successfully when replacing an ageing 40Gb PATA drive withg a new 250Gb PATA drive.:D

6. RDM

RDM Registered Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Here is what I have found ... when Cloning in Automatic Mode & going to a larger Hard Drive, the two partitions I had on my Original C: Drive were proportionally increased to match the new, larger Drive. I just went in & did a Manual Clone .. keeping both partitions exactly the same size as they were on my original drive. That left about 50G or so unallocated. That did the trick! ... My machine is now running off the new 250G Drive ... & I've just used Disk Management in Window to allocate the last 50G to a new new drive letter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.