Trueimage 6.0 will not finish!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by quark59, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quark59

quark59 Registered Member

When I try to do a backup of my main HD to a another internal drive, all goes well. The process stops after several hours and reports an error. It says that my drive is full or alreday written, and that I can empty the recycle bin or delete old data files. My HD that I'm backing up to reports that I have 39GB of available space. Trueimage say's it only needs about 26GB free to do a backup(Image). This seems to have started after I upgraded to Microsft SP2. Don't know if there's any correlation. I've tried about 5-6 times in the last month with no progress. Any thoughts?? Thanks!! :)

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,

That 26GB reported by TI is a rough estimate of the resultant image size. If your main HD contains a lot of, already compressed, multimedia files e.g. jpg, avi, mp3 etc then the actual image could very well exceed your backup drive spare capacity.

Regards

3. quark59

I did a quick format of my drive that I'm writing to, so it's got no data on it and still got the same error. I've used that drive in the past with no problems.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I'm not talking about your destination drive. I'm talking about the possibility that you may have lots of multimedia files on your source drive. These types of files are already heavily compressed and therefore will not be compressed much further (if at all) by TI. Hence the estimated image size reported by TI could be well off the mark.

Regards

5. quark59

Thanks,
    I'll free up room on my destination drive and give that a shot! :D

6. bobbyjak

bobbyjak Registered Member

You said:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------I did a quick format of my drive that I'm writing to, so it's got no data on it.
    I'll free up room on my destination drive and give that a shot!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused..How can you free up room if you have formated it & it has no
    data..

7. quark59

Menorcamen,
    You hit the nail on the head. I deleted 5 or 6 videos from my main drive. I know most or all of them were compressed. I reran Trueimage and I was able to complete a backup. Bobbyjak, I was saying that I had deleted data and formatted on a separate occasion on my destination drive. The answer eneded up being that I didn't have enough rooom for my backup on the destination drive! I thought because Trueimage said it needed only 27GB of space, that 39GB was more than enough. It wasn't. I eneded up needing 47GB. :eek:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello quark59,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

First of all, I'm glad to hear that the problem is solved. I would like to add that the compression ratio of Acronis True Image is increasing from version to version for our Development Team is working in this part of the program as well. The probelm of unability to compress such files as videos, pictures, etc. is very common for all programs that compress files. For example, you may see the same thing using archivers (7-Zip, WinRAR etc).

I can suggest that you have a look at the newer (eighth) version of Acronis True Image. It might compress your data with higher compression ratio. You may download free trial version at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/. Another reason to purchase the upgrade (you shouldn't purchase the full version since you have already got the sixth one) is that we officially do not support Acronis True Image 6.0 anymore. However you are always welcome to ask any questions on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.