Truecrypt Volume Corrupt after Win10 Clean Install

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by The 3rd Jeff, Jan 5, 2016.

1. The 3rd Jeff

The 3rd Jeff Registered Member

I have an old 76GB internal SATA drive that I encrypted with Truecrypt v6 a couple of years ago on Win7, it worked fine when I did the Win10 upgrade; however, it did not after I did a clean install of Win10. I went through and restored the volume headers for the drive, and I got the volume to successfully mount but I could not see any of the data when I tried to open the drive. Instead, windows wants to format the drive when I try and open it, so I used Puran File Recovery to recover the files.

It worked, to a point, Puran found about 2GB of data, but the files are a bit wacky. Instead of going into the main folder that houses all of the recovered files, the bulk of the data went into an undefined folder and broke the data up into: .mpg, .pcx, and .swf files. This file breakdown is not accurate what-so-ever and none open properly. My assumption is the recovery software did not actually work properly. I am assuming at least some of the data is still good on the encrypted drive since it took the original password and allowed me to fix the mounting issue. Also, if there is a better data recovery program out there, I am all ears.

http://s11.postimg.org/735nk0f43/Recover_Data.jpg

Thoughts on where to go from here?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.