TrueCrypt USB volume

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by argenit, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argenit

argenit Registered Member

Hi,

I encrypted whole USB flash disk and used it for last month without an issue. This morning I plug it in the computer and first warning from windows explorer about "not formatted device" did not appear. Second I can't see the volume in TrueCrypt itself (it was Partition 2) so I can't access the files at all. Is there any way how to get to the content? I read a few posts here but none describes this behavior.

OS - Win 8. The disk is not seen in Windows explorer, the disk is seen in Total Commander (but not accessible as expected). The disk is seen in Disk Management under letter F but I can't eject it nor change the drive letter as these options are greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

A.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Since it's a USB stick, can you try it on a Windows 7 computer? This is the second Windows 8 'problem' post in 2 days. I'd take that out of the equation first.

PD

3. argenit

Hi,

already did that and the result was the same - TrueCrypt volume is not seen in TrueCrypt tool.

A.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If you encrypted Partition 2 then there were at least 2 partitions on the disk, one of which was encrypted. Yet you also stated that you encrypted the whole disk. Thus, the situation is a bit unclear to me. Perhaps you mean it was listed as Harddisk 2?

Or if it actually was Partition 2, then what about Partition 1? Is it gone as well?

5. argenit

Hi,

I am sorry for confusion. You are right. It was harddisk 2 but partition 1 as the flash was encrypted as a device.

A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.