[TrueCrypt] Recovering Encrypted partition with corrupted data header

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by hellcommando, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellcommando

hellcommando Registered Member

I have been using TrueCrypt to encrypt my system partition where it contains my primary windows. However, I have tried to boot from Ubuntu live CD today, then my laptop starts to boot from the recovery partition instead of the primary system partition.

I have somehow lost my TrueCrypt Rescue Disc as well (no softcopy too), however I still remember my TrueCrypt password, I have tried to download Rescue Disc online try to decrypt the system partition, however it does not work. I have tried to install another windows on the other partition in the same hard disc, by mounting the system partition into the TrueCrypt software into a letter, it written that "Incorrect passwords or not a TrueCrypt partition". This might due to the reason that I have used all the recovery option from the rescue disc which subsequently mess up with the data header. (Yeah, stupid right)

Does anyone what else I can do in order to retrieve my data from the encrypted partition? Really need to recover my important data from the partition. Thank you!!

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I hope you didn't use the rescue disk from another system to perform the "restore key data" procedure on your disk, because that would wipe your good header and replace it with a different one which would be unable to decrypt your data.

If that's what you did then you'd better find your real rescue disk or an image of your hard drive (taken back when it was working) which includes Track 0, otherwise it's game over. It's impossible to regenerate the correct header or the encryption key knowing only the password.

3. hellcommando

hellcommando Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I have somehow wipe the header of my partition.

Don't think can get back the rescue disc as the softcopy have been stuck in the encrypted partition The first 16 character of the keyfile shouldn't be any useful in this case right.

Think will just give up and format the drive I guess :/

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

System encryption doesn't use keyfiles. Perhaps you didn't use system encryption after all. Non-system encrypted partitions have backup headers which might be recoverable, so before you format anything I suggest you explain the situation more clearly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.