Truecrypt problem

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by kewlio250, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kewlio250

kewlio250 Registered Member

the other night i was transferring a file to a flashdrive, when i accidentally dragged it to one of the drives associated with a truecrypt encrypted drive (the partition of the HDD which is encrypted, but still shows up under My Computer), which was not mounted at the time, after which i deleted the file i copied. upon trying to mount the drive again, it gave me an error saying it couldnt load the volume header, so it loaded the backup, but windows explorer and truecrypt would hang upon trying to access the drive. then i used the restore header option for the drive itself, and restored the standard volumes header just fine (still says drive Z:/ isn't accessible after mounting the standard volume). when i try to restore header to the hidden volume, however, it states Access Denied after i re-select the data pool (for the encryption i believe) and kicks me out of the mounting window.

i have been using truecrypt for over a year now, but am by no means an expert, haven't messed with any of the default settings, i only have setup 2 hidden volumes (on separate media, one flash drive, one external HDD), but i am very knowledgeable about windows and PC's in general, as i work in the computer repair field

if there is ANY way to get the information off of the drive i am willing to try anything, this data wont be easy to get otherwise, im not sure if it's even possible at this point.

thank you for any help you are able to provide

2. kewlio250

kewlio250 Registered Member

hrmmm interesting, on the 5th attempt at restoring header volume on the hidden truecrypt volume it worked and now mounts and reads as expected, still cant read normal volume however, guess its time to backup the data i have and start over.

EDIT: hmmm, now its failing whenever i try and copy off the drive even though i can access all files on the drive, it wont let me copy off of it

EDIT2: upon further testing, it will let me move certain folders out, but trying to move the whole drive it fails, leads me to believe some files may be corrupted, time to hunt them down!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.